NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Badvertising

+3
Wondering
Conreezy
eselle28
7 posters

Go down

Badvertising Empty Badvertising

Post by eselle28 Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Because terrible puns make everything better. This is the place to share thoughts on offensive or otherwise terrible ads.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Badvertising Empty Re: Badvertising

Post by Conreezy Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Well, it doesn't fit with the theme of gender relations or anything, but I fucking hate Kit-kat commercials. I'll never eat that candy again because of their God-awful jingle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I mentioned in the thread that spawned this that I hate the Jake with State Farm ad. It's just so sexist, wife is a suspicious, over-the-top nagger sort narrative. With the harangued and put-upon husband. All with the back drop of him calling the insurance company at 3:00 for nothing that's an emergency, which nobody does. I hate it so much.

I pretty much dislike any ads that show marriages as terrible and that treat it just as an accepted fact of life that wives harangue and husbands are stupid.

There was another one a couple years ago for Verizon or AT&T or some company like that which showed another wife treating her innocent husband terribly. She was watering plants in a greenhouse, and he came in to tell her he'd signed them up for some plan or service. And she says that was stupid and expensive and mutters that her mom said she should have married X other dude. And then he tells her about how the deal they got is actually super cheap. And then they both stare at each other. I haven't had any luck finding it now.

Proctor and Gamble is especially good at being sexist to men and women at the same time.

Last edited by Wondering on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:10 pm

There's a series of car ads with some actor, I think maybe Matthew McConaghey (?), where he is just so smarmy it makes me want to kick him every single time I see them, even with the sound off. It gives me insta-rage!

Last edited by Enail on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Yeah I really hate the McConaughey ads, they're stupid and make no sense; it's usually him waxing pseudo-intellectually about nothing. And it has nothing to do with cars.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:08 pm

You know, this wouldn't be so bad if they didn't air it so bloody much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:21 am

Enail wrote:There's a series of car ads with some actor, I think maybe Matthew McConaghey (?), where he is just so smarmy it makes me want to kick him every single time I see them, even with the sound off. It gives me insta-rage!

caliseivy wrote:Yeah I really hate the McConaughey ads, they're stupid and make no sense; it's usually him waxing pseudo-intellectually about nothing. And it has nothing to do with cars.

Awww, but I love the McConaghey ads! They're so funny. Razz

No, if you want pretentious, smarmy and whatever the hell else, look towards Levi's artsy-fartsy "GO FORTH" ads. They literally told you NOTHING, they flash the jeans but they never insinuate that the ad is about pants. They're in black & white with images of young people doing... fuck, I dunno, stuff. Then the ad ends with "GO FORTH" with the Levi's logo underneath it.

Uhh. innocent

EDIT: Here it is!

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:39 am

The Mikey wrote:
Enail wrote:There's a series of car ads with some actor, I think maybe Matthew McConaghey (?), where he is just so smarmy it makes me want to kick him every single time I see them, even with the sound off. It gives me insta-rage!

caliseivy wrote:Yeah I really hate the McConaughey ads, they're stupid and make no sense; it's usually him waxing pseudo-intellectually about nothing. And it has nothing to do with cars.

Awww, but I love the McConaghey ads! They're so funny. Razz

No, if you want pretentious, smarmy and whatever the hell else, look towards Levi's artsy-fartsy "GO FORTH" ads. They literally told you NOTHING, they flash the jeans but they never insinuate that the ad is about pants. They're in black & white with images of young people doing... fuck, I dunno, stuff. Then the ad ends with "GO FORTH" with the Levi's logo underneath it.

Uhh. innocent

EDIT: Here it is!

A M E R I C A
Lol, I hate the pretentious vibe of that one, but Levi's used to have good ads that were completely unrelated to jeans. I used to love this one when I was like 10, not really because of the twisting bodies but rather because of the general Lynchian vibe of the setting:

I don't have a TV so I'm not that aware of adverts, but I've always hated the Nespresso ones. I figure Nespresso must taste like George Clooney's greying eyebrows, what else?

The latest one in particular is bloody gross:
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:35 pm

The Mikey wrote:EDIT: Here it is!

I'm kind of mad at myself for actually sitting through that commercial.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:49 pm

litterature wrote:

A M E R I C A
Lol, I hate the pretentious vibe of that one, but Levi's used to have good ads that were completely unrelated to jeans. I used to love this one when I was like 10, not really because of the twisting bodies but rather because of the general Lynchian vibe of the setting:

I don't have a TV so I'm not that aware of adverts, but I've always hated the Nespresso ones. I figure Nespresso must taste like George Clooney's greying eyebrows, what else?

The latest one in particular is bloody gross:

Now, don't get me wrong i thought it being artsy was kinda interesting, it was very reminiscent of the movie Raging Bull. But I had zero idea wtf this even was, at least in that Levis Twist commercial they're *showing* the product. That I think is the main difference from the Go Forth ad, it was needlessly pretentious with nothing about the product they're tryna sell me. I had done some research into the ad and it came out around the time the recession hit and that I think is what they were trying to hit home. 17 year old me was like "What the fuck is this?" while watching that commercial.

And I don't think I'd be mad at that commercial if it had more people IN Levis doing whatever it is us 20-somethings do in the dark in black & white. If they flashed the Levi's logo and held on it for 3 seconds on it, then that would tell me what it's about!

caliseivy wrote:
The Mikey wrote:EDIT: Here it is!

I'm kind of mad at myself for actually sitting through that commercial.

Thats okay, they played this ad in a movie theatre once and I said out loud "What the fuck is this?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:19 pm

But what is that recording in the Levi's America ad from? Seems like they're quoting something, and I want to know what it is. Neutral

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Wondering wrote:But what is that recording in the Levi's America ad from? Seems like they're quoting something, and I want to know what it is. Neutral

I don't know who did that particular recording, but it's a poem by Walt Whitman. http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/238130

Maybe it's FDR reading the poem? I have no idea. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Whitman and FDR make is seem less pretentious to me. Grin

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: