NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 14 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by Werel Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:21 pm

litterature wrote:a friend asked me to watch the first episode of game of thrones with her and i found it extremely upsetting

you're making a fantasy world, what's the need to make it so full of stylised rape scenes
i did my best to keep a straight face but to be honest i wanted to cry

fuck game of thrones, seriously
Yeah, Game of Thrones is not for folks who don't want to see a bunch of stylized rape and murder and torture (what that says about those of us who watch it, uh, I decline to speculate). Your friend should have been like "hey are you down to see horrible brutal things as a putative form of entertainment?" before shoving that into your eyeballs, and been willing to take a no. Sorry you had that sprung on you. Neutral
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:04 pm

Werel wrote:
litterature wrote:a friend asked me to watch the first episode of game of thrones with her and i found it extremely upsetting

you're making a fantasy world, what's the need to make it so full of stylised rape scenes
i did my best to keep a straight face but to be honest i wanted to cry

fuck game of thrones, seriously
Yeah, Game of Thrones is not for folks who don't want to see a bunch of stylized rape and murder and torture (what that says about those of us who watch it, uh, I decline to speculate). Your friend should have been like "hey are you down to see horrible brutal things as a putative form of entertainment?" before shoving that into your eyeballs, and been willing to take a no. Sorry you had that sprung on you. Neutral

I guess she wanted to share a deep universe she finds fascinating with me, which I really appreciate! And I kind of get the point that it's supposed to be a cold and ruthless world, although I have my reserves about that kind of fiction, but I guess I can't handle rape scenes very well at all Sad
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:57 pm

What do you think about the idea that Rei is the actual main character in Eva, that the other pilots don't really add much and that assuming Shinji's point of view just leads to waifu crushes that detract from the actual storyline (which would be Rei becoming as independent as she can and telling Gendo to take his plans somewhere else, before having her newfound revolutionary leanings brutally cut off by Shinji?) I guess it sounds like it's fun for a laugh but actually it's a story I'd kinda like to write seriously...
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:06 am

I watched the first episode of AMC's Preacher

I should probably watch for Saint of Killers and just in case John Wayne or Jody show up, but I really shouldn't because it's doing that thing where the adaptation is failingggg Sad
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:16 am

After several otherwise dull hours at work pondering why, in the midst of Pokemon-crowded downtown, my workplace alone is lacking in specimens to catch during coffee breaks, I found out the answer that should have occurred to me all along: I'm not the only aspiring Pokemon trainer working there and the others are faster about catching them all than I am.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Until this morning, I thought this was an odd allusion to dating woes.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:08 pm

waxingjaney wrote:Until this morning, I thought this was an odd allusion to dating woes.

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 14 Pikachu-Laughing-in-Tree
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:47 am

Pretty much the problem I have with modern gamers nowadays.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-ways-you-are-being-aged-out-by-gaming-industry/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:46 pm

The Nightly Show is being cancelled. This week. They won't even get to take it to the elections.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 am

So, John Turturro is actually shooting that Big Lebowski spin-off he's been wanting to make for years.

As much as I love The Big Lebowski, or more accurately because of how much I love the film, I'm really not enthused by this news. The film was a standalone piece, and I never wanted a sequel, prequel or spin-off.

Of course, someone will reply with "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion, man" in 5.....4......3......2......

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:18 pm

This is really not a good way to promote the new Power Rangers movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 pm

Okay, dear radio station, I do appreciate the Christmas music; but "Baby, It's Cold Outside" sounds suspiciously like a setup for date rape. I'm probably overreacting but the song just rubs me the wrong way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sahrimnir Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:49 pm

The first time I even heard of that song, it was in the context of someone talking about the creepiness of it.
Sahrimnir
Sahrimnir

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:27 pm

I enjoyed Fantastic Beasts, because it's always fun to spend time in the wizarding world. But some things made no sense.

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Anime fanservice. Boobs that look like they were drawn by aliens that had seen a picture of a male human once, then read a text that explains the concept of breasts, after it had been run through Google translate a few times. That had possibly been dictated by a mime. And also, physics worked differently on their home planet, and they're not totally sure about this new Earth physics. But damnit, these plucky aliens are gonna do their best to draw the biggest and best titties those Earthlings have ever seen! How is it sexy if it in no way resembles actual boobs? Do these animators also find random balloons and sacks of flour and bowls of jello super-hot??
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:19 pm

That sounds like an entertainment joy to me silent
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Well, it's probably given me a few LOLs Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 pm

You always run into the occasional frustrating WoW player when doing any sort of group content, but never do I get as irritated as when I'm playing a healer. There's always a few tanks that pull too many enemies, constantly rush ahead out of healing range, don't keep up their defensive abilities, and/or fail to hold aggro on everything they pull. And whenever I try to call them out and ask them to do things a little differently, I get a passive-aggressive response as if I just said something really stupid, because of course THEY'RE not doing anything wrong, I'm just a bad healer for not keeping up with the massive damage they're taking or dying when they pull the entire room and half the mobs run to me as soon as I start to heal.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:08 am

An annoyance with Netflix Castlevania.

I watch a lot of anime, so I'm sort of used to my cartoons treating adult content somewhat like turning the volume up or down. They don't treat it as special, they just decide if they want to use it or not and to what degrees.

And then I watched Netflix Castlevania and it was like a 16 year old bursting at the seams to say every dirty word and make every gross joke and slip in as much scary gore and anti-religious-stuff-because-that-would-scare-their-religious-grandparents, and then doing it all at once and then feeling so edgy for it. It's kind of an embarrassing feeling that keeps cropping up while watching it when that stuff comes up.

(Also I guess it's a prologue to Castlevania III, fights more humans than monsters, more Churchavania than Castlevania)
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 pm

So Bright is a Shadowrun movie in every single way, except the part where they acknowledged or paid for the Shadowrun IP? Saw this trailer blind and was like "A SHADOWRUN MOVIE? Shiny/thrilled" and kept waiting for them to say it... and waiting... and waiting... but nope, just a straight ripoff of the concept and setting and visuals and vibe and plotlines. I'd be punching the walls if I worked for Catalyst. Disapproving

Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 am

This isn't a mad but more of a sad. The Expanse was cancelled by SyFy. Nerds are trying to get Amazon or Netflix to pick it up.

If it doesn't get picked up, this is going to be looked back on similarly to the way we look back on Firefly and think "What if?"

DS9 is my #1 sci-fi show, Expanse is probably my #2 (still half a season to go and some hope of it coming back so I can't lock it in yet Wink )
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm

It's kind of a bummer when a good song is incorporated into media which is not good, and will be associated with that bad media for a long time. Westworld is a really bad show and I wish they hadn't used Codex so prominently.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Orca Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:06 am

"
litterature wrote:What do you think about the idea that Rei is the actual main character in Eva, that the other pilots don't really add much and that assuming Shinji's point of view just leads to waifu crushes that detract from the actual storyline (which would be Rei becoming as independent as she can and telling Gendo to take his plans somewhere else, before having her newfound revolutionary leanings brutally cut off by Shinji?) I guess it sounds like it's fun for a laugh but actually it's a story I'd kinda like to write seriously...

Whoa, that's too deep, man. Eva is just an anime about some miserable japanese teen.

My rant is about farming simulator games and haters. I do love farming sims and spent a lot of time just quietly playing games like Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley and Slime Rancher but whenever I pop up with these games on any forum I keep getting tons of hatemail about being either casual or just boring nolifer. I play games what I like and I respect people loving other game genres. But come on, just look at these screenshots on https://slimeranchergame.net/, it's a decent game and I have right to call myself a real gamer even if I have never played Call of Duty."

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Orca wrote:"
it's a decent game and I have right to call myself a real gamer even if I have never played Call of Duty."

The funny thing is, not so long ago, the Call of Duty gamer, along with the Wii gamer and the Madden gamer, were primary examples of casual gamers
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:55 pm

I've never really understood why the term "casual" has come to be used in this context. In my mind, casual refers to how someone engages with something. (e.g. How much time do you spend playing the game? Is it a mindless diversion just to pass the time, or are you putting deliberate effort into building skills and developing strategies that would improve your performance?) A person could (and plenty of people do) put a lot of time and energy into a farming simulator, or a mobile game, or what-have-you, and I certainly wouldn't think of them as "casual" players.

I think the more accurate label that people are going for is "mainstream" gamers, as differentiated from the more nerdy variety, which is why games like Call of Duty and Madden can also fit into that label. And the distaste for these gamers is more of the same old alpha-nerd mentality that having niche interests and hobbies somehow makes them special and so the more people who adopt those interests and the labels associated with them, the more that somehow takes away from their specialness. Hence the need to artificially differentiate them into a separate category in order to maintain a discrete identity.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum