NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere?

5 posters

Go down

Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere? Empty Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere?

Post by Barretts_Salt Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:58 am

*Un* ironically, of course:)

Good morning, all.

I was looking at a lot of older photographs the other day and noticed many men wearing them.  That doesn't seem to be the case for current US fashion -- although I'm certainly not omniscient.  Or Sauronesque Grin

Do any of you have bowler/derby sightings to report from anywhere in the world?

Thanks in advance!
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere? Empty Re: Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere?

Post by readertorider Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:15 pm

I saw a few when I was in college! Haven't seen many recently, but I'm not in a fashion-interested part of the country and with the mild winter few people are wearing hats for warmth.
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere? Empty Re: Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere?

Post by kath Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:06 am

I see them online on women! I don't see them in person very much, but I don't think I'd consider it odd (for either a man or a woman, and depending on the rest of their outfit).

I also see them in person in steampunk outfits, and on people who work for the historical village in town.

I think if you want to wear one, you should!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:30 pm

I have seen a few young women wearing bowlers usually with (what I consider) revived New Wave looks. Sort of like this:
Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere? Fearne-Cotton-wearing-a-bowler-hat

Are bowler/derby hats currently worn anywhere? 2586183_misterrogers2
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:31 pm

Good morning, all!

Thanks for your answers and I apologize for the delay. I had masses and masses of overtime -- which were a good thing when my car's o-ring decided to gradually disintegrate and I went through eight quarts of oil in two weeks.

Fortunately all my driving was on regular streets in The Land of a Thousand Auto Supply Stores:)

But, back to the hats.  Yes, I think the new year needs one of these -- then it can join the rotation with my pith helmet and the little top hat -- also the cowboy hat with the lace veil and black roses:)

Thanks and have a good day.
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:50 am

If those are the other hats in your collection, then YES, add a derby!

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Barretts_Salt Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Oh, yes:)

I'm sure you've run across the fashionistas' diktat that a wardrobe should be 90% basic pieces and 10% statement pieces?

My wardrobe is the reverse.  Much more *moi.*

The bowler can be my h/t to John Steed.  
Barretts_Salt
Barretts_Salt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum