NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Robjection Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:30 pm

A significant chunk of my random thoughts of today has consisted of "What? Another level up and you still won't evolve?"

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:19 am

Ugh, how do I get more noodles to stick to my chopsticks, instead of falling out before they reach my face hole?

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:40 am

Someone else's not-so-random thought:

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 NoContext

Context doesn't even matter; this was just super well said.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:10 am

nearly_takuan wrote:Someone else's not-so-random thought:

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 NoContext

Context doesn't even matter; this was just super well said.

Societal attitudes are also a case of numbers/perception(a certain percentage of people need to hold said attitude for it to be on a societal level). I think the person actually means to say "victims' experiences" based on the second sentence.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:06 am

Yeah, the original context had to do with some debate over what percentage of domestic abuse victims are male. But I think the general sentiment of "who cares how many there are or how few; just don't pretend they don't exist 'cause it sucks enough for them already" applies to pretty much anything.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:41 am

I need to do stuff, so things can happen...
But I am so unmotivated to be doing things right now...
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Ah EWR, you always surprise me, usually unpleasantly
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:42 pm

It makes me sad, how much you talk about how you hate your job/chosen career. And this only after starting it a couple of weeks ago! What's the rest of your life going to be like?

I honestly don't understand. Life's too short to be miserable in something you spend the majority of your waking hours at. You don't have to be passionate about it or love it, but at least not hating it seems like a reasonable goal, given the options and opportunities you must have.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:35 am

Words you never would have applied to yourself until someone else did, and then you think about it and realize that, yeah, it's reasonable: "You always seemed like the ambitious sort." (For a given value of "always" being "less than a year of acquaintance.")

Dunno why it never would have occurred to me to label myself that, even though it's certainly not wrong. I have a fairly clear goal and some fairly clear ideas of how to pursue it, and a schedule set with steps to try and achieve that, and the desire to keep working to get it. Yet "ambitious" was just not in my barrel of adjectives or qualities I tend to reach for when describing myself. Similar with "sociable/gregarious," which I've really only started accepting in the last year or so. (... oddly, around the time when I started getting a clearer idea of what I wanted and how to get there, too. Huh.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:24 pm

You are 28. Why are you typingggg like thisssss tho srs

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:30 am

Oh, I feel that one. My cousin is 34 and has a doctorate and types like that. o.O

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:42 am

Favorite mountain names from Alaska: Ingri'urluq "poor dear mountain," Ingrirrlleq "shabby bit of mountain," Dghili Ka'a "big mountain" (aka Mt. McKinley, points for literalism).
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 am

Right after I posted a thing mentioning Sliders, I saw that somebody who looks a lot like Jerry O'Connell (it's one of you, I assume) viewed my OKC profile. Wink

(It's probably the grin more than anything.)
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:45 am

Could my school make this decision more difficult?
Both of these programs look similar; is one merely outdated and being phased out, or are you playing mind games with your students?
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:58 am

I just had a dream that someone close to me died. When I woke up, I remembered that he did pass away, but that it's been four years since it happened. And it was such a relief. To go from fresh to well-processed grief in a matter of seconds.

Then I fell asleep again and dreamt that someone else, also close to me, had a fatal accident of some kind. This time the shock and sadness colored my feelings after waking, but only until I remembered that the accident had somehow involved cheesecake.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:10 am

So, I take it that DNL prime is turning into something similar to captainawkward.com?

Also, isn't it STI now instead of STD?

There's too much to catch up on. It won't just be like learning French, but rather like learning Mandarin. Or Sanskrit. If the worst comes to pass, who will I say goodbye to?

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:44 am

I usually think of myself as having a pretty high tolerance for physical pain, but it seems I'm still really bad at inflicting it on myself.

Related: I'm starting to wish I did leg-shaving.

And continuing to wish I was somebody else, even though in philosophical terms I don't think that means anything.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 am

nearly_takuan wrote:I usually think of myself as having a pretty high tolerance for physical pain, but it seems I'm still really bad at inflicting it on myself.

Not feeling alright?

Related: I'm starting to wish I did leg-shaving.

0_0..why?

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:58 am

So I admit I was deliberately being silly/obtuse, but only just realized that read a certain way the above sort of sounds like a self-harm / cutting thing. Apologies for that!

The real story is I tripped on an irregularity in the sidewalk while jogging (the street lights fail to illuminate a single tiny strip of sidewalk that also happens to be right where there is a 2cm shift in elevation).

Well, turns out band-aids on super hairy legs are a major annoyance. The adhesive sticks to the hairs, not the skin, so it doesn't stay on tight enough to keep my knee from dripping everywhere, and then changing it every once in a while is a slow ordeal 'cause my hands keep stopping themselves. Razz
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:48 am

I think I'm the opposite: Not good with pain and yet impatience means that I'm eager to just yank it off.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:47 am

Role model, to me, means "does a thing I like/has a quality I aspire to emulate", not "has to display behaviour I morally approve of/has to share my every political opinion".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Oh, hon. What's more likely - that a man nearing 40 is able to successfully lie to and dupe an 18-year-old girl he has a vested interest in appealing to, or that dozens of other successful and respected people who's had dealings with him can attest that he's a shithead, some of them from personal experience?

Of course, we're strangers, and given the way you leapt to his defense after barely two lines exchanged, and that you're 18 and living with him, and nobody responds well to condescension anyway, you're not going to listen to any of this, sooooo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Strong Bad is on Twitter. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:24 am

Catching up on some of the Paging site comments... the recurring complaints my gender tends to make would actually justify use of #NotAllMen if they put it there...

...because it's really not a problem "men" have. Just a small subset.

That's not to say I don't think I'd be entirely free of certain problems (and burdened by others) if I was same-exact-person-except-cis-female, but a particular issue being more likely to afflict one gender is neither sufficient nor necessary for that problem to map to/from that gender's entire domain.

Basically as time goes on I grow less and less comfortable with this pattern of arguing over whether a thing is or is not a major tragic hardship for $group in the context of discussing lifestyle choices and individuals' behaviors (the rhetoric is obviously necessary for large-scale social change type stuff, but that's a totally separate thing). I can't prove such a claim and even if I found data that looked "hard" to me there would be some flaw that allows anyone who wants to dismiss it to do so. Might as well stick to the point, which is that I experienced this and that, and so such-and-such is challenging to me (or other specific person). That one anecdote is all I ever really need to raise my concern. I strongly suspect it's the same for most of the dudebros who continue to flood the comments with the same comments they made last week. Might as well be honest about it and just say, I specifically tried to do A and B, it didn't really work out for me, and now I am struggling with C.

And actually, kudos to reboundstudent for helping me realize this because she tends to frame things in precisely that way, and I find that to be a much more elegant (and less easy to callously dismiss) way of stating one's position. I mean, of course it still doesn't necessarily lead to answers or a productive discussion (and the aforementioned dudebros may be partly to blame for that too), but at least it's not doomed to become a who-has-it-worse "debate" from the beginning.

Indirectness and subtlety have so many better uses than forming paper-thin disguises for obvious motives.

[/soapbox]
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:41 am

I should do an Eddie painting...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum