NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stupid question: where the fuck do I become financially independent?

4 posters

Go down

Stupid question: where the fuck do I become financially independent? Empty Stupid question: where the fuck do I become financially independent?

Post by Glides Tue May 10, 2016 1:12 pm

I need one thing above all others right now: to never have to see my parents again.

Moved back in after the accident, stayed a grand total of one day at my old place before I got paranoid and drove all the way back to their place because I was too scared of being alone.

I have no job now, and I'm being threatened into going back to school (which I have the exact minimum passing GPA at, went from 3.8 in high school to an horrifyingly low one here), otherwise I'll be kicked out and financial support will be cut off.

So I have a very small window of opportunity (until September) to somehow make enough money to get the hell away from my family for good.

It's literally impossible in this economy. I'm not attractive enough for sex work, I don't know how to gamble, I have no idea how to make enough money.

This would require buying my own car (I don't have one anymore thanks to the accident, and they'd bought that one for me because I'm a spoiled baby), being able to afford rent, food, utilities, electric, gas, pretty much all of that, which only Donald Trump's children can afford in this day and age.

I only just found out that my old roommates will no longer be able to live with me in a couple months since one of them has to financially support his deadbeat mother and the other has to move in with the family she's been nannying. So in a couple months, I won't have any sort of autonomy or independence whatsoever.

So basically, I have the worst possible hand in the card game of life. My parents don't have the capacity for love and kindness (they say they love me, I don't believe them) and their behavior has gotten more and more restrictive the longer I stay with them.

I went from complete independence and a financial future, to losing all of that almost instantaneously.

What the fuck do I do? I need a miracle.

Glides

Back to top Go down

Stupid question: where the fuck do I become financially independent? Empty Re: Stupid question: where the fuck do I become financially independent?

Post by Werel Tue May 10, 2016 2:32 pm

Glides wrote:So basically, I have the worst possible hand in the card game of life.
innocent No, dude. Nope.

Glides wrote:So I have a very small window of opportunity (until September) to somehow make enough money to get the hell away from my family for good. It's literally impossible in this economy.
Yeah, making enough money within four months to attain permanent financial independence is not a likely scenario, no matter what economy you're in. What you might be able to do in four months, though, is make enough of a head start to convince your parents that you're better off not going back to school. If you're in a job with potential for advancement, would they make you go back to school*? If you're making X progress on a script, or working Y hours on other people's shoots, would they make you go back to school? Basically, are there any non-school conditions you can imagine where they'd continue to support you for a while until you can be financially independent?

If you're really just looking to be out of contact with them and are willing to take a serious hit to your standard of living to do so, I'm pretty sure you could manage it. You'd just need to be ready to live like the actually broke: free food where possible, sharing a room, public transit, no entertainment budget (reboot sounds like a complete pro at this, I bet she's got tips). If your #1 priority is not having to be in touch with your parents anymore, you don't need to worry about making enough money to live like you did when they were helping out--cause that doesn't seem feasible in the span of a few months--you just need to worry about making enough money to survive, and that seems pretty feasible.

*And by "make," because I assume this is not at gunpoint, I mean "make financial support contingent upon you going to school"
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Stupid question: where the fuck do I become financially independent? Empty Re: Stupid question: where the fuck do I become financially independent?

Post by reboot Tue May 10, 2016 4:28 pm

Yeah, there are lots of ways to get by on very little, but you have to give up quite a few creature comforts. You are not in the worst place ever. You are in the same place as anyone who either has no parents to support them, has parents who cannot afford to support them, or has parents who are unwilling to support adult children. Just be thankful your parents do not need you to support them.

Your first order of business is to get a job, any job, no matter the wage, and save everything in the 4 months you have financial support.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 pm

I second Reboot and Werel, this kind of thing is tough, but not unusual, and you've got some possibility of finding a compromise your parents would accept without cutting financial support to give you more time, and of lowering your lifestyle expectations to give you more wiggle room.

And I just want to back up Werel's point in a modly fashion:<mod>We do not play the game of 'who's got it the worst' on this forum (and even if we did, I know you are not so lacking in imagination as to be able to imagine no worse hands in life than what you're facing right now Razz) Cut that shit out, please. </mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum