NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Movies Have You Watched Recently? Empty What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Post by bomaye Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Blade (1998)

Figured I was gonna do both a personal comic movie retrospective and a personal comic movie catch-up. I've watched Phase 1 Marvel and Amazing Spider-Man fairly recently so I'm probably not gonna do those, and I watched Spider-Man 1 and 2 so much in the past that I'm not gonna do those either. I was thinking of skipping the Batman Begins trilogy but I might give those a hard rewatch since I didn't quite like things that everyone else praised about them the first time. Everything else has either been long enough that I can give it a fresh revisit, or I just plain haven't seen (older and newer Marvel movies, most DC movies etc)

Blade is still a pretty fun, by-the-book action movie. Things I didn't notice then but do now

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

What Movies Have You Watched Recently? Empty Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Post by Datelessman Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 pm

The last movie I saw in theaters was "WONDER WOMAN", which I thought was excellent. Considering I was mostly horrified by "BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: YAWN OF JUSTICE", I was concerned, but "WONDER WOMAN" proved to be great. Gal Gadot was much better as Diana this time around and Patty Jenkins' direction was terrific. Chris Pine was a great Steve Trevor and I thought Lucy Davis' Etta all but stole the flick. Robin Wright's Antiope also came close to stealing the film, she was utterly transformed into the role.

Spoiler:

In terms of movies I've watched on DVD, the last one was "BATMAN: THE MOVIE" from 1966 as part of my revisit of the Adam West era.
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

What Movies Have You Watched Recently? Empty Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Post by bomaye Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:31 am

Blade 2 (2002)

FUCK, this movie is so cool. And definitely existing in that immediate post-Matrix world where every action movie needed crazy acrobatics and bullet-time even if they needed now-badly aging CGI to do it

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackBart Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:32 pm

So, today I went to see The Hitman's Bodyguard (no relation to either game series or Kevin Costner/Whitney Houston flick), and it was...fun. As fun as you can expect from a "buddy action comedy" genre. Lot of LOL moments, good chemistry between Reynolds and Jackson, and good action.

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed May 22, 2019 6:39 pm

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I've never seen any of these movies or read any of the books and the Space Channel had a marathon the other weekend so I DVR'ed them all. Only thing I knew going in was the Snape/Dumbledore meme spoiler (I didn't 100% know for certain that I could identify either character on first look but I have seen them before), it involved some magic school and they played a sport on their broomsticks

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed May 22, 2019 10:01 pm

'Arry Potta and the Chamber of Secrets

Goodass movie

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed May 22, 2019 10:32 pm

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed May 22, 2019 11:21 pm

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 am

'Arry Potta And the Prisoner of Azkaban

Was aight

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 am

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 24, 2019 4:57 pm

'Arry Potta And the Goblet of Fire

Another goodass movie

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri May 24, 2019 5:28 pm

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Thumbs-up

Emo 'Arry Potta and the Order of the Phoenix

Holy shit

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri May 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 24, 2019 11:35 pm

Yeah, I def misheard it

'Arry Potta And the Half-Blood Prince

So I know Deathly Hallows is one book that was split into 2 movies. Was it just one long-ass movie that they split into two parts like the name suggests or are they shot like two separate movies?

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 am

Tbh, I can't remember how much they separated it into two movies or made them stand alone, I think about as much as LOTR, but I'm not sure (and I seem to recall you haven't seen them anyway possibly)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat May 25, 2019 2:13 am

Yeah I haven't seen any of these movies, I was just wondering more because I may only have time to watch one on the weekend and seeing if I should wait to do'em both at once or not
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat May 25, 2019 1:40 pm

I'd lean towards wait and do them both, but they were released a year apart originally, so presumably they intended for them to stand alone that much.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue May 28, 2019 12:32 am

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 am

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

Spoiler:

Goodass movie series. I was about to say "My favourite movie of the series is..." but then I mentally started making cases for Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire, the end battle in Order of the Phoenix (Dumbledore vs Voldemort is my favourite battle), and then the whole Snape/Horcrux set-up and the Draco showing in Half-Blood Prince, and the outcomes of all that set-up in Deathly Hallows 2. That's crazy that I can make cases for half of the 8 movies being my favourite in the series and another in consideration because of how it ended.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue May 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Wow, I'm a little surprised that they went over that well, as a book fan I was both biased in favour of them (because they did do a lot right, especially most of the casting), and super-critical.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue May 28, 2019 4:16 pm

I've had all the books on my bookshelf for years with the intent of reading them all and watching all the movies one day, but I always wasn't sure which I should do first. It kinda feels like it was better to do the movies first because that's more the abridged version, and then the books will be the more heavily detailed unabridged versions to really dive into at some point
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 31, 2019 4:13 am

Assassin's Creed

Huh, that was actually a really good video game adaption. Actually felt it could've been a bit longer just to get more of the Spanish Inquisition setting and flavour in there, but I'm also used to the games drawing you into the past setting too, it may not have played as well in the movie.

Ghost Rider

Was expecting this to be as bad as Hulk, but it ended up being aight. Generic '00s Horror-Action movie, cool motorcycle shit, Ghost Rider always looks cool, accidental comedy because Nic Cage can't act. I'm not sure I'd ever watch this again, but I wouldn't be against watching it again either.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

This one was bad as Hulk. Barely any motorcycle shit, retconned the first movie, Ghost Rider was a silly laughing demon for some reason, they wrote in goofy shit for Nic Cage so it came off as forced Nic-Cage bad acting. Only thing that was better than the first was the CGI.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 31, 2019 11:04 pm

Alien

Has to have been at least 15 years since I've seen this. When I was younger, I'd always get impatient and bored because there wasn't shooting and space marines like Aliens. I still did get impatient through this one, but I did appreciate the slow rollout and the logic used to introduce the alien. A lot of the special effects on the Alien and a few moments with the Ash didn't age well, but it's probably not as bad as it could've been because you see the Alien so little. Pretty GOAT liquid movie, though. Everyone's constantly drenched in sweat, the Alien's stickyness, dripping saliva and acid blood, the milky insides of the robot (that's such a great twist now that I think about it, a movie called "Alien" having a robot in it), that one scene where Brett's letting water leak down on him to build tension.

Something I never really thought about before, I really like how the Alien drags off the bodies without massacring them and you're never really told what happens to them. You can presume what's going on based on how the Alien is born and how future movies show you the Queen and such, but never really see it.

Also kinda miss the grimyness of late '70s/early '80s sci-fi. The modern world has made technology so slick and presentable and Apple and small and convenient, it's a little nostalgic to see submarine boards and picture-tube monitors and an entire room dedicated to housing a basic computer simulator

But ye, some things are better since I'm older now, some things are worse because time and special effects moved on, some things are nostalgic because got-old, and a lot of it was realy wet.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum