NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What songs do you relate to?

+2
bomaye
Bootlebat
6 posters

Go down

What songs do you relate to? Empty What songs do you relate to?

Post by Bootlebat Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:58 am

some of mine are
The Smiths- How Soon Is Now
B-Movie- Nowhere Girl (I'm a guy but other than that it describes me to a tee)
Bruce Cockburn- If I Had A Rocket Launcher

Bootlebat

Back to top Go down

What songs do you relate to? Empty Re: What songs do you relate to?

Post by bomaye Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:24 am

bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:05 pm

I used to relate really strongly with a lot of songs as a teenager, but as I've gotten older, I don't have that intense kind of reaction to music anymore, so there are songs that speak to me in bits and pieces now but not so much ones that are like "YES! THis is me!"

Ones that have hit me that way a bit lately:
Amie, by Damien Rice

All the Rowboats, by Regina Spektor

And an old one that was one of the big ones for me when I was a teenager (I'm dating myself here Uh-oh) and still kind of rings true, Mr. Jones, by Counting Crows
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Oh man Enail, I love that Counting Crows song too, and I always feel like a gigantic nerd for getting a little choked up when I hear it at a gas station or drugstore or something Laughing

I also mostly identified with songs when I was younger, and less so the older I get, but the ones that stick tend to be more about identifying with a feeling or worldview than lyrics which are like "oh! that describes me!"

This one from high school still rings pretty true to my internal discourse:

Clark's Catastrophe Anthem only has 4 words, but I somehow manage to identify a lot with it anyway (sorry for the Russian site, it's not on YouTube): "we are your ancestors"

And I identify pretty hard with a lot of Talking Heads lyrics, and the entire politely-bewildered-alien-dropped-into-late-stage-America ethos of True Stories, but especially:

Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mikey Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:48 am

I will fully admit that I heard New Order’s Elegia when MGSV came out during the trailers. What I find amazing about this tune is that... it evokes such feelings in me but it also resonates and reflects those same emotions. With just music, New Order is able to do that, I know there’s other musicians that can do the same, but usually it’s lyrically or some kind of classical music. It’s not so much that I can relate but it describes... such a particular state of mind.

To me, that’s what music does. I’m such a weenie sometimes I do tear up at some songs. “Purple Rain” by Prince, Bowie’s “Heroes” simply fucks me up, then there’s Joy Division.

That song, musically and lyrically hits me all at once. “Got the spirit, lose the feeling, let it out somehow.

Happy tears
The Mikey
The Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Ohhh, New Order/Joy Division. I briefly contemplated putting Ceremony as one of the songs I identified with, but it's too easy to interpret as "struggling with constant suicidal ideation" rather than a more general bittersweetness Laughing

Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mikey Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:52 am

Suicidal ideation. That hits a lil too close to home (I’m sure so many of us have been there -hugs-), but I totally get the bittersweetness vibes from this song.

Goddamn; Right in the feels. Fuck, I love New Order (aka Ian Curtiss-less Joy Division). Those guys have such a way with music and evoking emotion so extremely well. “Bizarre Love Triangle” sounds like a love song, it’s great, and then “Blue Monday” lyrically and musically sounds so sexual.

Laughing
The Mikey
The Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by Orca Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:50 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum