NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread!

+14
waxingjaney
reboot
Enail
reboundstudent
Werel
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Coin-op Adjutant
sky
azazel
Coin-op Adjudicator
inertia
UristMcBunny
fakely mctest
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Empty Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread!

Post by fakely mctest Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:08 pm

So, based on the introductions thread it looks like we've got a lot of crafters on the board and I thought you guys would appreciate this: 7 DIYable Steampunk Decor Projects.

I also totally love Ysolda Teague's knitting patterns.  These narwal mittens are sorely tempting me to get over my fear of intarsia:

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Narwhal%205

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Empty Re: Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread!

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:17 pm

Ooh those mittens look snuggly!

Agree totally on Ysolda Teague. I have way too many of her patterns in my Rav queue.

Currently I have been volunteered to knit an entire Clanger family by the MIL, which is fun, although I would've liked more time to start knitting snuggly cardigans for the changing weather.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Empty Re: Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread!

Post by fakely mctest Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:47 pm

UristMcBunny wrote:Ooh those mittens look snuggly!

Agree totally on Ysolda Teague.  I have way too many of her patterns in my Rav queue.

Currently I have been volunteered to knit an entire Clanger family by the MIL, which is fun, although I would've liked more time to start knitting snuggly cardigans for the changing weather.

I love mittens so much!  They keep my hands warmer than gloves AND I can do little puppet shows if I get bored.

Ysolda's hats are what I really love, but then I haven't ever knitted a sweater I've been super happy with.  Crying

Kate Beaton and I: SAME BOAT

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Tumblr_ncq9eivU3V1rnw5qjo1_500

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:58 pm

I've found the Opposite Pole to be a pretty great cabled cardigan pattern.  I've made three sleeveless versions so far (sleeves often get on my nerves) and they've all been great in terms of fit, versatility, snuggliness and shape.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! 164243_10151588801338410_1551178868_n_medium2
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! 523378_10151618899568410_15756720_n_medium2

(Sadly I don't have a decent photo of the third one.  I knit it in chunky dark purple yarn and made what was basically a really thick shrug, perfect for keeping my torso warm while doing something active)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Ooo super cute Bunny! I'm trying to teach myself knitting, so that I can make every single knit thing I see on Outlander.

Currently I'm working on my 2nd bolero sweatshirt. This pattern is the whole reason I got into sewing 2 years ago... so I could make myself one of these in every color.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Ysr010111-06
-http://yourstylerocks.com/patterns/archive.php?pattern_id=3
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Oooooh Marty that looks like such a fun pattern! I see both cosplay and general awesome style-ness possibilities in that!

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:59 pm

UristMcBunny wrote:Oooooh Marty that looks like such a fun pattern!  I see both cosplay and general awesome style-ness possibilities in that!

I wear the two I have a ton. Very practical (good seasonal-switch off clothing when it can be freezing in the morning but hot in the afternoon), and I love the look of them. I wore my black one with my Winter Soldier outfit, and I think it worked very well.

Anyone want to do a Sew-Along? :-D
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by inertia Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! 10360694_10152651642386489_4234224027028384846_n

I made this sweater for my youngest niece for her first birthday

inertia

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Tempted!  (Especially if it means having you to hold my hand and guide me through it!).  The pattern doesn't go past a size 18... do you know what the crossback measurement is for their size 18?  I find my shoulder and arm measurements often put me at significantly smaller sizes than I would wear otherwise, due to the boobs and lower gut/hip area.  But of course, neither boobs nor gut are a factor in that pattern, so depending on what the crossback is for it I might be okay!

(In the cardigans above for example, I knit the back panel in size L, on smaller needles, and the body in XXL, as well as shortening the armscye by about 6 inches).

*edit*
Inertia that is so pretty!  I love the variegated purple and your button choices.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coin-op Adjudicator Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:13 am

Mine isn't clothes-related, but since there's no other thread for DIY projects:

I'm currently working on touching up and reassembling a IBM Model F XT keyboard.  I've already finished a converter for it so it'll work on a modern PC--Windows or Mac. Don't have any pics to post (yet), but it's been a fun project so far. Also my initial foray into the world of soldering.

Coin-op Adjudicator
Coin-op Adjudicator

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:36 am

Coin-op Adjudicator wrote:Mine isn't clothes-related, but since there's no other thread for DIY projects

Oh, you're not off-topic. I'd love to hear about other people's non-textile related hobbies! Grin

Do you have to have a special setup for soldering or can it be done at home?

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:48 pm

fakely mctest wrote:

Oh, you're not off-topic.  I'd love to hear about other people's non-textile related hobbies! Grin

Do you have to have a special setup for soldering or can it be done at home?

You only need to buy a soldering station, consisting of a soldering iron and a holder and you've got everything you need!

I use a pizza box on an old table as surface (I'm so fancy!)

Siderant: I haven't obtained the skill to make my soldering neat Sad they work, sure, but they're not pretty!

How do you guys/gals focus on one project by the way? I keep bouncing between several, hardly ever finishing one...

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by Coin-op Adjudicator Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:51 pm

fakely mctest wrote:Do you have to have a special setup for soldering or can it be done at home?

I actually had the necessary soldiering equipment from an old circuits class.  Yeah, I had to clear out some room for it, but it could be done at home.  (Or garage.  Your choice, really.)

The soldiering wasn't actually as much hard as it was awkward, since I had to squeeze everything to fit into a 3x2 in. project box.  Essentially, that part of the deal involved soldering header pins onto a controller board (about the size of one's thumb; it's called a Teensy, for those who might need it) up to a DIN-5 connector, which the keyboard plugs into.

----

EDIT:
azazel wrote:How do you guys/gals focus on one project by the way? I keep bouncing between several, hardly ever finishing one...

Oh, that's easy--I remember that as of the moment, my other project is finishing cleanup from that other rig I just assembled. Poof. Like magic, I'm motivated to finish this current one. :3
Coin-op Adjudicator
Coin-op Adjudicator

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 am

azazel wrote:How do you guys/gals focus on one project by the way? I keep bouncing between several, hardly ever finishing one...

Hahaha this is totally me. I start craft projects all the time and then lose inspiration and set them aside in favor of something new. The ones that actually get finished are the ones I promised to make for somebody I care about, and the ones that I get inspired about again and dig out to continue working. And, I suppose, the ones I really want to finish for any other reason. I have a quilt that has been in progress for seven years now, and that one is going to get finished just because I feel guilty for leaving it sitting around so long.

Things I can finish in one sitting also usually get done, but anything I have to set down and take a break from may never get picked up again if I can't get in the mood to start in where I left off.
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:32 am

Do semi-work things count? Because I've been working on an IT project with my Dad for a few months with the intent to make it a business venture and we've essentially gotten to the point where it's simply working out the bugs and we'll be set to get it out there. It's a really neat idea too. I just hope others think the same. Razz

Without divulging too much, it's to act as support for the cloud, which many businesses have been migrating to without enough knowledge of what that entails or what it could mean for their data.

Back to top Go down

Post by Coin-op Adjutant Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:14 pm

(For whatever reason, servimg doesn't want to upload one of my pictures, which is annoying because it's the full "before" picture for this project.  So I'm using a stock image instead--I'll see if I can't get it in later.)

Alright, mostly done.  I've gone from this:
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Jun142006-001

...to this!
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! Dsc06610
Sadly, the spray painting job for the front of the case didn't turn out as nicely as I'd hoped--the curved surfaces and lack of a real working space made things trickier than expected, so that'll probably need a re-do.  But it works like a damn charm!  Built in October of 1984, and it still works on both Windows and Mac computers almost 30 years later.  Don't make 'em like they used to, indeed.

I certainly didn't foresee the need for a sledgehammer just to put it back together, though--that steel plating is a pain to work with.  The spacebar was even worse due to how it fits together, but on the upshot, it's no longer stiff now.  Still, though--it's a repaired, retouched, and fully functional keyboard.  For an old IBM terminal.  Which I am currently typing this post with.  Grin
Coin-op Adjutant
Coin-op Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:26 am

Would you guys count digital painting as crafts, maybe? Cuz I do that when I'm bored or feeling creative... wanna see?

-innocently kicks dirt around-

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:33 am

The Mikey wrote:Would you guys count digital painting as crafts, maybe? Cuz I do that when I'm bored or feeling creative... wanna see?

-innocently kicks dirt around-

I'm not the craftiest person around, but that sounds like it fits the bill to me! It's artistic, and it does create employment for idle hands. Share away!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:20 am

eselle28 wrote:
I'm not the craftiest person around, but that sounds like it fits the bill to me! It's artistic, and it does create employment for idle hands. Share away!

Yay. Here goes nothin'. :3

I just finished this little guy here, he's a revamped version of this painting I did last year.
Spoiler:

This was painted earlier this year, both studies and excuses to challenge myself. As well as this Big Boss [link for size] piece.
Spoiler:

I delved into creature/character design a couple of years ago for a project an online buddy started. Dude was an absolute flake and never gave me feedback on the two pieces I made for him, so I stopped any further work. So yeah, these are a little old...
Spoiler:

Oooh and there's also this Xenomorph painting I did some time ago.
Spoiler:

And if you wanna see some more (or the stuff I'm MOST proud of) check out my ArtStation! :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 am

Would any of you knitters have recommendations for resources somebody interested in beginning knitting should check out? I'm a terrible fidgeter, and there are lots of times when I would really appreciate having something to occupy my hands. I also like clothes, so the idea of making my own seems pretty appealing.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:17 am

Lemminkainen wrote:Would any of you knitters have recommendations for resources somebody interested in beginning knitting should check out?  I'm a terrible fidgeter, and there are lots of times when I would really appreciate having something to occupy my hands. I also like clothes, so the idea of making my own seems pretty appealing.

As a starting point, I recommend this website: http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

This is where I started when I was learning to knit, and it was incredibly helpful.

Ravelry (https://www.ravelry.com/account/login) is the absolutely best site in the world for knitting and crochet: there are thousands upon thousands of free patterns there for all sorts of things.

I will make two (and a half) suggestions to start:
1. Have a goal in mind -- something like "Make scarf for Bob for Hanukkah" or "make baby blanket to donate to local hospital." You'll learn faster if you work frequently, and a goal will make you work more frequently.
2. Although it seems counter-intuitive, don't start with the incredibly simple knit across every row pattern unless you're making something small (like a washcloth), because by the end of your first scarf you will be bored to tears. I had about 4 false starts with knitting because I just found my projects too boring to finish. I'd suggest something simple but kind of cool looking, like this: http://www.purlbee.com/2008/12/02/easy-mistake-stitch-scarf/ -- you only need two stitches for it.
2b. If you can, look for a local knitting group to join. They love beginners, and will help you out as you learn the stitches and struggle with casting off or finishing things. My knitting group has 2-3 people who knit between meetings until they make a mistake, then bring their work in so that others can undo the damage and get them on the right path again.

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:26 am

The Mikey I love your artwork! *spends more time gazing at the intricate pretty details*

I HAVE to second Ravelry as an excellent resource. Tons of free patterns, including loads of beginner-friendly ones, tutorials, an active forum full of people willing to help, groups you can join if you want to discuss specific things (like knitting for plus sizes, or knitting lace, or learning to knit in the round). They also recently switched up the site to make it more friendly to those of us who spin our own yarn!

Other than that, I heartily recommend youtube videos for any specific knitting techniques you want to learn. I basically learned entirely from youtube vids and Rav.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:22 am

UristMcBunny wrote:The Mikey I love your artwork!  *spends more time gazing at the intricate pretty details*

Hehehe, thank you. Don't stare too long, though, you'll ruin the illusion for yourself! :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Damn Mikey, those are awesome! I especially love the bear and its gentle, vacant expression. Tears in the rain is pretty daggone great too. Grin
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:32 am

Werel wrote:Damn Mikey, those are awesome! I especially love the bear and its gentle, vacant expression. Tears in the rain is pretty daggone great too. Grin

Hehehe, thanks. I try, the bear I did it because I was inspired to rework an old painting, it worked!! Tears in the Rain was hard. The temptation to trace was really difficult since I had the original frame underneath, which I only used at a reference to guide the head shape, although it could have used more contrast, I will admit.

I have other stuff there in links too, I definitely recommend looking at my ArtStation profile :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum