NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime general thread

+20
Hielario
bomaye
sky
eselle28
Student
Werel
Archetype694
Bumble
Xexyz
Caffeinated
HSavinien
Jayce
choys
CP96
litterature
Aggrax
Kurairush
Chickpea Sarada
Suika
Enail
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Anime general thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Anime general thread

Post by bomaye Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm

I guess for me, part of what I loved about the over-budget look (I liked this in Resurrection F too) was that it was the complete opposite of a lot of Super's TV anime version's atrociously bad animation that wouldn't pass muster for most so-so series (especially if you saw the TV version like I did, I think the blu-rays upgraded it a bit), nevermind one of the most legendary anime series of all time. Broly is kinda how I wish the whole series looked.

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:32 pm

This is such a goofy crackhead anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=824ZkYIO9zQ
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:13 pm

The weird part of it is that the writer actually has talent for writing sports anime. I thought it would just be a throwaway tits-and-ass anime, but it treats the concept super seriously, builds an entire faux-sport out of it, actually has character development and storylines and it was like "Why?"
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Has anyone seen that sequel series they've made to GITS: SAC? The reviews are a bit confusing.

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 pm

I have them all on the backlog but one of my major gaps is that I've never even seen the original GITS Lurking/sketchy
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:41 am

BTW, you don't need to, SAC is its own thing (it actively tried to be a middle point between the original manga and the films).

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:23 pm

This is every '80s mecha/fighting anime stereotype, but it sure looks nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZv4q-l4zY
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:17 pm

I rarely post here because my anime tastes are eclectic and I rarely watch whatever is the "new hot thing" this season. That's not because I'm a snob or anything -- my first anime was literally "STREET FIGHTER II: THE ANIMATED MOTION PICTURE" unless someone counts syndicated episodes of VOLTRON in the 80's -- it's just how I roll.

So aside for random Lupin the Third TV specials I was catching up on, the latest anime series I am watching is a classic, "Here Is Greenwood" from 1991-1992. It's a weird romantic comedy OAV series, and probably my first one. I'm midway through it and it's been...interesting.

The third episode had a reference to "Castle of Cogliostro," one of the best known Lupin the Third movies, though. I can't ever escape him! Laughing
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 pm

I have most of Lupin III saved to watch later Lurking/sketchy
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 am

bomaye wrote:I have most of Lupin III saved to watch later Lurking/sketchy

I actually own every single Lupin III TV special, and animated film, released from 1978 to 2003, thanks to various releases (many of which are now out of print). I have a few more here and there (like the recently dubbed 2011 TV special or some of the post-"Woman Named Fujiko Mine" films) but it recently hit me that I have that entire run on DVD now.

I finished "Here Is Green Wood." It was only 6 episodes but I work and do other things (like write comic reviews online). It, along with "Kimagure Orange Road" and "Maison Ikkoku" was usually on the short list of "romantic comedy anime" back when I was getting into the genre in the 90's, and it's easily the shortest. I've seen a lot of anime with some romantic subplots but it's really my first one which wasn't a fighting/shounen/superhero/supernatural/satire style thing. It's pretty nutty to be honest, and in some ways is very much a product of 1991-1993. But it's probably aged better than some shows.

The gist, for anyone unaware, is that Kazuya has entered an all boys high school in general, and it's weirdest dorm in particular, in Green Wood. He joined late in the semester due to a variety of ailments, due in some part to the fact that his older brother (who is also the school nurse) married his first crush. As he tries to get over this, he's joined by three of the weird residents of Green Wood; Shun, a typical "boy who looks like a hot girl and is played for laughs due to this," Mitsuru, a self-confident and self-described "ladies man," who razzes Kazuya a lot, and Shinobu, an icy and aloof intellectual whose cousin is a vengeful mafia hanger-on. Most of the episodes are self contained, dealing with Kazuya's intro, Shinobu's cousin, filming a "Record of Lodoss War"-style D&D satire, and being haunted by ghosts of lovesick schoolgirls. The final two episodes are where things get a tad more serious as Kazuya finds his "second love" with a delinquent named Miya. Geeks may be interested to know that Kazuya is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch under a stage name, better known as the second Black Ranger, Adam Park, on MMPR. Other VA's of some renown are Lex Lang, Wendee Lee, Sam Reigel and Julie Ann Taylor.

It's a fine fit for my eclectic and totally random (and mostly old school) anime collection.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:48 am

I finally caught up on Sega Lord X's video game content on youtube, so now, it's time to start the great Bleach rewatch. I watched the series once, never finished the final arc before it was cancelled, and never watched the filler segments or the movies (which I intend to do both this time).
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:02 am

After many years and much saving, I am finally binge watching InuYasha. It will be quite a long haul. Cool
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:07 pm

You are very brave! Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 am

Enail wrote:You are very brave! Razz

Thanks! It's become the 2nd longest TV series I own on DVD, second only to "Married...With Children." But it's only a few episodes longer than the 1987 "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" cartoon, which I binged about 2 years ago. It's just a matter of taking it one day and a few episodes at a time with my 50+ hour a week work schedule. As of today I am 8 episodes in and liking it fine. Thumbs-up
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Well, good luck! It's becoming a classic, I think.

Forgive the off-topic, but why do you have "Marriage...with children" on DVD?
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:58 am

Hielario wrote:Well, good luck! It's becoming a classic, I think.

Forgive the off-topic, but why do you have "Marriage...with children" on DVD?

InuYasha is already a classic, and a well known, popular anime. I just am continuing my trend of only getting into certain "hot" anime about 5-10 years past their peak of popularity.

As for "Married...With Children," I just love the sitcom and found it very funny. I started watching it as a kid in syndication and still know many of the punchlines by heart. That doesn't mean I agree with the philosophies of the characters as being accurate to life, of course. But a sense of humor is unique and I like it. As a kid it was a dream to own a series like that, or "Batman '66" and when the opportunity arose, I jumped on it. Binging gives me more control than syndication (especially since I missed a lot of the last 2-3 seasons).
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 am

This probably goes without saying if you've seen it before, but...

The Soul Society Arc of Bleach is so effing HYPE
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:16 pm

@Datelessman: I see. That was very interesting (no sarcasm intended).

Going back to the topic, I'm watching Double Decker because of its exhuberance, ¡I missed this kind of enthusiasm in character design! (in spite of things like the protagonist's face being so stilyzed he kinda looks like Voldemort in some sequences). It's to buddy cops what Tiger and Bunny was to superheroes. There's this huge city that feels both glittering and industrial, a drug that gives some people destructive mutations so it's popular with violent criminals, and a special police corps to deal with those through high-powered and sometimes chemical weaponry, where our regular policeman protagonist with dreams of grandeur and buddy cop adventures gets transferred after accidentally getting involved with one of their operations.

My only complaint is that i barely have gotten past the second episode because my wifi is too shitty to watch it on high resolution.

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:50 am

So after two months I finally got through INUYASHA, including the "Final Act". I never felt any sense of lag and I was disappointed when it was over, but with a sense of accomplishment. That's rare for a series that's almost 200 episodes long. I may finally have to replace YU YU HAKUSHO as my favorite mainstream anime, which is kind of weird.

And of course I did not like the romantic stuff. Real men never admit to that, ever.

I'm currently watching a much shorter, newer, and totally not as good series, ZETMAN. It reminds me of the sort of dreck I loved when I was about 16. Overly violent, angst ridden, dark colors, and long suffering women. It's good to see that I've evolved my tastes a little.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum