NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Games General

+17
Hielario
berrybear
Sahrimnir
Kaz
The Wisp
Aalo
trooper6
celette482
Archetype694
Gentleman Johnny
caliseivy
TheRoux
eselle28
Gman
Conreezy
Jayce
Caffeinated
21 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Video Games General - Page 2 Empty Re: Video Games General

Post by Archetype694 Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:11 am

Enail wrote:

Also, wondering how cheaply I could get a used PS3 before Persona 5 comes out innocent

Cowboom (owned by Best Buy) has had some decent ps3 deals in the past couple of months. If you're not in a rush I would check them or slickdeals.com a couple times a week. In the past two months I've seen sales on both sites for around $70ish+ tax + shipping.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:22 am

Thanks, but I'm in Canada, so it's not usually worth it to try and buy cross-border. Anyway, I'm trying to resist! Razz (but I can't guarantee I won't check out my local used game store)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm taking some time to enjoy my Kickstarter offerings, Dreamfall Chapters and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Both were released this fall, but WoW and Dragon Age sucked up most of my attention. These days, I'm in the mood for chapter-based adventure gaming and old school RPG play, so I finally got around to getting my Steam keys.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by celette482 Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:08 pm

MapWater wrote:Anxiously awaiting Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on Saturday.

Been replaying Kingdom Hearts 2 from the 2.5HD re-release on the PS3 lately and another run through of Fire Emblem Awakening. Up to Xemnas on Proud Mode for the former and just started the attack on Valm in the latter.

Fun fact: I am stupid and have three copies of Kingdom Hearts 1, 2 and Chain of Memories and four copies of Birth By Sleep.

It's my guilty pleasure series. Razz

One of the best parts of getting married is seeing what all games my husband has, including Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I rented KH1 back in the day from blockbuster (olds) and never finished it and now I can!
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:56 pm

celette482 wrote: One of the best parts of getting married is seeing what all games my husband has, including Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I rented KH1 back in the day from blockbuster (olds) and never finished it and now I can!
KH was awesome. I can't believe I wasn't all over it when it first came out.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by trooper6 Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:31 am

eselle28 wrote:I'm taking some time to enjoy my Kickstarter offerings, Dreamfall Chapters and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Both were released this fall, but WoW and Dragon Age sucked up most of my attention. These days, I'm in the mood for chapter-based adventure gaming and old school RPG play, so I finally got around to getting my Steam keys.

I'll be starting Dreamfall Chapters myself pretty soon. But I have to get more school/research work done first. Boo!

trooper6

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:43 pm

trooper6 wrote:
eselle28 wrote:I'm taking some time to enjoy my Kickstarter offerings, Dreamfall Chapters and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Both were released this fall, but WoW and Dragon Age sucked up most of my attention. These days, I'm in the mood for chapter-based adventure gaming and old school RPG play, so I finally got around to getting my Steam keys.

I'll be starting Dreamfall Chapters myself pretty soon. But I have to get more school/research work done first. Boo!

Oh, I know that feeling. It'll be worth the wait, though! I've been quite happy with it so far, and I think the story that's being told works well in the episodic format they're using.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Aalo Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:17 pm

Did someone say Dreamfall Chapters? *sustains self* I've been enjoying the whole TLJ saga very much. I mean, it's not without its flaws, but at this point I'm still honeymooning. Heavily.

Slightly off topic, anyone have recommendations for good PC games with little to no violence? (More Portal, less Gone Home?)

Aalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:28 pm

Aalo wrote:
Slightly off topic, anyone have recommendations for good PC games with little to no violence? (More Portal, less Gone Home?)

Are you looking for little to no explicit violence, or less violent themes? Papers, Please has little to no on-screen violence and is very very good, but it does deal with grim themes and off-screen government violence.

Also, gotta pimp Porpentine's Twine masterpiece With Those We Love Alive-- no explicit violence that I recall (maybe a tiny bit towards the end, but text-only) but deals with heavy and heartwrenching shit. Sorry, I don't play enough lighthearted PC games. Shrug
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aalo Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Werel wrote:
Aalo wrote:

Are you looking for little to no explicit violence, or less violent themes? Papers, Please has little to no on-screen violence and is very very good, but it does deal with grim themes and off-screen government violence.

Also, gotta pimp Porpentine's Twine masterpiece With Those We Love Alive-- no explicit violence that I recall (maybe a tiny bit towards the end, but text-only) but deals with heavy and heartwrenching shit. Sorry, I don't play enough lighthearted PC games. Shrug

I love heavy, complex themes, it's the explicit violence I have a hard time with. Eg Bioshock: absolutely loved the concept but found the game experience (and the ensuing nightmares - yes, I'm like three years old) a bit too much for me.
I had heard of Papers, Please but not the other one - will check it out, thank you!

Aalo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:01 pm

Here's some non-violent games that come to mind: Thomas Was Alone, Braid, Antichamber, Broken Age (actually, there's a scene where some characters are very cartoonishly and quickly eaten by monster with no gore or anything, but other than that there's no violence as far as I remember), Fez, Little Inferno, and World of Goo.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaz Tue May 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Anyone playing Pillars of Eternity? I may or may not be addicted. Also, thinking that this is a game that would be quite fun to LP (I follow an LP forum and keep pondering doing one of my own...) because wow, the people who wrote this really love their moral dilemmas. I'd love to toss some of them to an audience, I'm not sure *any* quest so far has had a straightforward "this is the right thing to do" option.

also, dat character creation. The only reason I haven't started a dozen new games is I can't actually make it *through* the character creation process without going "actually, I could play a Boreal Dwarf Chanter from Naasitaq! *restarts everything*"

Kaz

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 am

So I noticed with Super Mario 3D Land that it was almost like the developers said "The 3DS can do 3D, now we don't have to try as hard to make the perspectives work." Neutral
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:26 am

Pokemon Picross on 3DS is very addictive. Worked 40 minutes on a puzzle before realizing I'd fucked it up and had to restart and didn't feel deterred
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:59 pm

I picked up Sunless Sea, the spinoff of Fallen London, and it's a little frustrating but a whole lot addictive. It's cool to see new sides to some of the Fallen London lore and explore the bigger world. Though it really should be called Zunless Zee Disapproving
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:52 pm

So a big rumour that just dropped for the next Zelda game (which is going to be on Wii U and the NX) is that you can choose Link's gender.

Been a long time coming Shiny/thrilled
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:26 pm

Hasn't that rumour been going around for a while now?
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Yes-ish (it's kind of a been a "Why aren't you doing this, dummies?" thing for a little while), but the source on this one is someone who has leaked stuff that eventually came true
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:10 pm

My wife and I both got Baldur's Gate a while ago on a Steam sale, and it's a lot of fun so far, except it keeeeeeeeeps crashing when we save or load in multiplayer Sad
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:58 pm

I finished off the original Halo trilogy the other day. Halo 3 kind of homogenized everything and was probably the most so-so of the bunch, but did have some achievements tied up in a single player scoring system that I really liked. 1 was probably the best game story-wise and 2 the best gameplay mechanics. Probably gonna hit up the other side-games at some point

It was worth it to read the accompanying novels because it gave more meaning to Master Chief/Cortana stuff
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Been doing more gaming stuff recently:

Super Meat Boy: I fucking hate this game, but I'm good enough at it to where I can be like "... One more try, I know I can get this."

Democracy 3: I'm really not good at running a country Grin

Ace Attorney 5: <3

Super Mario 3D World I'm just amazed that with the Wii U gamepad, I can play a legit 3D Mario and not a pared down one on what's basically a handheld. Shiny/thrilled
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sahrimnir Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:34 pm

I saw that Hunie Pop was on sale on Steam and since some friends of mine had recommended it, I decided to buy it.

For those who don't know, it's a mix of puzzle game and dating sim.

It often feels weird to pick certain dialogue options just because that's what the woman I'm talking to wants to hear. On many occasions, I've even blatantly contradicted what I've told other women in the game. Basically my avatar in the game is a pathological liar.
Sahrimnir
Sahrimnir

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:58 pm

I do that in pretty much any game where characters hold opinions of you. I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO LIKE ME, OKAY?!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:30 am

The Egg Cup DLC on Mario Kart 8 put a smile on my face, specifically Excitebike Arena and Mute City, though I do like the Dragon Driftway twists and turns and chinese motif Grin
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 am

Might just use this thread for further video game things, seems better to all-encompass it Lurking/sketchy

I beat God of War II HD for the Playstation 3. More God of War with the most of the issues of the first better refined (Quick-time events on the last boss auto-killing you wasn't fun and Gorgons can still set you up for an auto-kill). I still liked the TESTOSTERONE, I liked the setting and story (though they treated one of the plot points as a grand revelation and it was kind of already revealed to you in the bonus section of God of War 1), I liked that there was more brutal kill quicktime events. I got within one trophy of getting the Platinum but the challenge mode was no fun.

A few cool events from the game that I really loved

Spoiler:

Also returned to playing more Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Nintendo Switch. I completed Chapter 4/moved on to Chapter 5, but I still consider myself in Chapter 4 because most of the side-quests you received then couldn't be solved until Chapter 5. I'll finish those off and then take a break for another non-JRPG game of a decent length (maybe Infamous or another God of War). Sorta like this pace of beating a major area of a JRPG then playing something else for a bit to kind of break it up. I'm at 60 hours in and both want to do as much of the in-game stuff as I can but also don't want to be playing one game forever <.<

Also bought Mighty Gunvolt on the 3DS on a sale (it was like $2). Azure Striker Gunvolt has sort of taken over the game-style that Mega Man X used to do, and Mighty Gunvolt was a little NES-style side-game they released as a pre-order bonus as a wink and a nod to SNES Mega Man X being inspired by NES Mega Man. It's thankfully not NES-hard, you don't auto-die on spikes and you can double-jump (I get myself killed pretty often in platformers while trying to perfectionist-adjust my jumps in mid-air, love double-jumps). I beat it with Gunvolt fairly quickly, definitely gonna go through it with the two other characters.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum