NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

+25
litterature
PintsizeBro
reboundstudent
V
Hirundo Bos
The Wisp
kath
TheRoux
KMR
eselle28
Enail
trooper6
Jayce
reboot
Wondering
Robjection
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
Caffeinated
nearly_takuan
caliseivy
InkAndComb
BasedBuzzed
Werel
fakely mctest
29 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 2 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by waxingjaney Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:38 pm

I dunno, I always use heavy blankets, quilts, etc. to cocoon myself, and use fairly light sheets for summer duties.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 2 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by Wondering Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm a person who gets cold easily, and I've had flannel sheets and liked them. They do bunch up more easily than regular sheets in my experience, so be aware of that. I have no experience with fleece sheets, though, so I can't compare an say which is best.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:00 pm

OK I got another one for you folks.

There was this game I found on the internet once in which you were in this elevator and you selected a floor to go to, and when you got to that floor, you were given the choice between two cards, and you had to pick one of them, and you would get money based on which cards you got. This kept going until you either did all the floors, got a game over card, or decided to quit while you were ahead (although you were only allowed to do this on certain occasions).

Does anyone remember what that game was called?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:20 pm

It sounds like you're thinking of Tower Challenge

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:49 am

Yes! That's the one! Thanks Pagliacci!

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:20 pm

Anybody got a good tteokguk recipe? Got some superfresh tteok, but have never attempted the guk.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:55 am

I have used these:
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ddukguk
http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2013/01/tteokguk-korean-rice-cake-soup.html

I like them but my tastes may not be the best indicator of quality
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 am

reboot wrote:I have used these:
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ddukguk
http://www.koreanbapsang.com/2013/01/tteokguk-korean-rice-cake-soup.html

I like them but my tastes may not be the best indicator of quality

Hah, I should have known you'd have a good recipe! I used the second one and it turned out... okay, but that's more a product of my cooking ability and broke-ass spice rack than an indictment of your taste. Smile
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:19 am

On the note of food, how do people find time to cook lunch and dinner everyday or the night before? I never have the time to cook fresh meals so I just make a week's worth of breakfasts, lunches and dinners before hand and put them in the freezer.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:39 am

How easily does makeup wear off? If you're kissing someone who has makeup and lipstick on, wouldn't you ingest some of it? And is that unhealthy/dangerous?

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:02 am

HermitTheToad wrote:How easily does makeup wear off? If you're kissing someone who has makeup and lipstick on, wouldn't you ingest some of it? And is that unhealthy/dangerous?

Only if it's made of rattlesnake venom.

But yeah, lipstick rubs off on glasses, cheeks, other lips... And whatever doesn't rub off actually does end up inside the wearer. (So the trick lipstick trope should usually backfire...)
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by trooper6 Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:52 am

Jayce wrote:On the note of food, how do people find time to cook lunch and dinner everyday or the night before? I never have the time to cook fresh meals so I just make a week's worth of breakfasts, lunches and dinners before hand and put them in the freezer.

Considering I'm trying to eat regularly, what I do is cook multiple meals, but the extra in tupperware in the fridge and then microwave. That is the way my nutritionist recommended me do it, and I do it and it works for me.

When I cook rice in my rice cooker, I cook 8 portions. Then I have 7 tupperware full of rice peas and chicken strips.
I make 4 portions of chili...one I eat, and 3 portions in the fridge.
I make 4 portions of oatmeal...one I eat, and 3 portions with peanut butter and blueberries to in the fridge.
etc.
And then I have a lunch cooler. When I go off to work, I pack a sandwich, a piece of fruit, a think of chili, maybe a hardboiled egg, then a gallon of water and I'm off for my exceedingly long day.

If I don't do it? Then I get into that bad habit of have my first meal of the day at 7pm.

trooper6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:03 am

Is it acceptable to have signature banners on the forum? If so, is there a limit to how large they can be (obviously not gonna use images larger than 1000*1000 pixels)?

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:30 pm

What sorts of things can cause a drastic change in food tastes? Until very recently I couldn't stand most forms of seafood, and I know salmon was definitely within the set of foods I did not like. And then twice this week I spontaneously decided to go to a sushi track restaurant and in addition to my usual seafood-free favorites found myself consuming salmon, tuna, and albacore sashimi, Oregon rolls (salmon, crab, avocado). And not like I had an actual craving; I just figured, "eh, they don't have any inari out yet and I don't wanna special-order everything, so maybe I'll just try...that one." And then liked it a lot.

I had a small piece of sashimi at my father's behest on January 1, just like every year, and continued to not like it. Can preferences/tastes really change so suddenly?

The only things I can think of are major hormonal changes, which would be weird but not totally unheard-of at 24, or my little near-death experience a couple of weeks ago, during which I was definitely dehydrated for several hours but not, I think, severely deprived of nutrients otherwise; I was only unable to eat for maybe thirty-six hours. Either sounds plausible to me, but I haven't been able to find as much on the subject as I'd like.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:44 pm

I would guess that you finally ate some decent-quality sashimi, perhaps unlike sashimi you'd eaten previously, but surely they've got good fish in Kauai? That's weird, man.

Other explanation: as my best friend's chef dad says, "hunger is the best sauce." Try some other fish when you're ravening. Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:49 pm

My wife randomly starts liking things she used to hate every so often. Maybe you're a weirdo like her? Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 pm

This isn't based on firm science, but I was under the impression that young adulthood is when a lot of tastes change because that's when people have lost the last of the super sensitive taste buds that make some flavors overpowering. I was a notoriously picky eater as a kid, but a lot if things I hated suddenly tasted good when I started becoming more adventurous at 25 or 26.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:18 am

When I was in college, I tried broccoli for the first time and it tasted so horribly bitter that I couldn't stand to take more than one tiny bite. When I told people that I hated broccoli because of its bitterness, they seemed to think I was crazy because broccoli isn't supposed to be bitter at all. But I had read that broccoli contains a chemical that is perceived as bitter by many supertasters and I was pretty sure I was a supertaster, so I figured that's what was happening and filed broccoli away in the "never eat this again" category.

Recently, I decided to try broccoli again and was shocked to discover that it didn't taste bitter to me at all. There have been other foods that I initially found objectionable but could grow to like through exposure and desensitizing myself to some of the flavors, but this was the first time I had ever perceived such a drastic change. It was basically the moment where I changed a lot of my preconceived ideas about what food tastes like and became a lot more adventurous about trying new things (even if I am still quite picky).

I think eselle's theory might have some truth to it, as my experience was also around that age (27). I also used to have a very strong negative reaction to a lot of the foods I found objectionable, not just when I was a kid but well into my late teens and early twenties. But nowadays, even if I don't like something, it's more often a "Eh, not my thing" sort of reaction than "Blech! Get it away from me!"
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:22 am

One of the theories that I've read and try to incorporate as a parent is that the first time you try a new flavor, it's almost always unappealing. They say you need to try something 5-10 times (or sometimes more!) before you stop reacting to unfamiliarity and start liking it. This is why I always encourage my kids to take a bite of everything, even if they "know" they don't like it -- my 7-year-old daughter just discovered this week that she's started to like salmon.

I also read somewhere that adults don't really taste much of anything. As kids, our taste buds are sharp, but as we age, they dull, and eventually, our "taste" is mostly a combination of smell, sight, and memory.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Interesting. There were quite a lot of changes in what flavors I liked when I was in high school and college, but then they seemed fixed for years. (I've always loved broccoli, though.) Biology is strange and complicated.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:46 pm

EDIT: Added my LMGTFY question.

I used to hate Asperagus... and now I love them!!

Another one is Brussel Sprouts... I used to hate them as a kid... Then I discovered that's just because my dad didn't know how to cook (at the time)... boiled them until they were unedible... Now that I've tried some made by people who actually know what they're doing and it's not as bad anymore. I'm slowly starting to like them... with a lot of butter... XD

What would be the opposite of "rant"? As an opposite to our Rants Thread, I've been thinking of starting a thread about things that happened that made us happy (I didn't see any). So I looked on the internetz for a word that would be the opposite of rant or ranting and I didn't find anything satisfying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:51 am

Joys and Good News is the opposite of the Rants thread.

Never boil Brussels sprouts!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:47 am

Re makeup: There are some lipsticks that are pretty reliable at not wearing off visibly onto other people; these tend to be matte liquid lipstick formulas. The high-end ones marketed not to smudge tend to be more reliable. Rimmel has a formula that apparently is also pretty good. But that's not most lipsticks. You can also get lipstick sealants, I have one I really like that I wear whenever I do wear lipstick, which I don't wear often because I don't like touching up / getting lipstick on things.

The person wearing the lipstick will ingest a lot more of it than you. Whether it's safe depends a lot on your opinions about specific chemicals and their safety. But especially if you aren't the one wearing it, you'll ingest so little that it won't be a big deal. It's mostly oils and waxes.

If you are planning on spending a lot of time kissing someone, you could ask them to remove their lipstick (or they may remove it themselves if they expect to do a lot of kissing).
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 am

I am going to move procrastination to a new thread because this is great advice that should be searchable in the future.

EDIT: Procrastination thread has moved here
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:04 am

Question:
Does anyone know what a reasonable price range would be for getting a garbage disposal replaced? I know it'll vary by plumber (and whether they're trying to scam you or not), but I'd like to know what I could possibly be looking at and if I have the money before calling the plumber out.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum