NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bias Tester

4 posters

Go down

Bias Tester Empty Bias Tester

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Implicit Bias Tester: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Lots of neat little tests in this one, though I always take them with a grain of salt. I took the bias test against black folks and Arab folks, and I scored moderate on the former(which seems to be par for the course) and little to none on the latter. This weirds me out, because I have actual negative experiences with harassment by the latter group(three incidents, all of them the bogstandard group of youths looking for a fight). Holland has a much larger population of them than they have of black minorities, so I wonder where that lack of implicit bias stems from(sheer proximity wearing it down?).

Back to top Go down

Bias Tester Empty Re: Bias Tester

Post by Werel Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Huh, I took the Native American one and got the expected results (Your data suggest a strong association of White Am. with Foreign and Native Am. with American compared to Native Am. with Foreign and White Am. with American.)-- I had a really hard time sorting accurately when White and American were to be sorted into the same category. Kept getting tripped up when they expected me to put Devil's Tower or Old Faithful into the "white" category; the task to sort White/Foreign and Native Am./American was way easier and faster. Seems only 5% of people have strong White/Foreign correlation, which seems... bizarre, but unsurprising. Neutral
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I took the skin tone one. Slight preference for lighter skin. A little disappointing, but not surprising—I've had very, very few interactions with people of darker skin than what the test used as a threshold. (They've been mostly positive interactions, but there probably weren't enough of them to supercede unconscious stereotyping.)

ETA: I had to stop in the middle of the "Asian" one because I felt like my abstract unfamiliarity with certain landmarks (Times Square being no less "foreign" to my mind than the Eiffel Tower) was skewing things too much.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:21 pm

I could only take the touch device tests and apparently I like African American children better that European American children and associate Euro Americans with weapons more than African Americans.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:37 pm

reboot wrote: I could only take the touch device tests and apparently I like African American children better that European American children and associate Euro Americans with weapons more than African Americans.

Quite correct. Razz

(TW: kids cartoon-murdering each other)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum