NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fashion advisor/personal shopper listing

+5
caliseivy
Conreezy
Gentleman Johnny
reboundstudent
reboot
9 posters

Go down

Fashion advisor/personal shopper listing Empty Fashion advisor/personal shopper listing

Post by reboot Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:29 pm

My sister in law sends me links on occasion for fashion services and I thought a thread to share such links might be nice:

Stitch Fix Style assessment is $20 and you can decide if you want the clothes or not
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Fashion advisor/personal shopper listing Empty Re: Fashion advisor/personal shopper listing

Post by reboundstudent Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:45 pm

If this turns out to be affordable, this would be amazing! Thanks for the link!
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Fashion advisor/personal shopper listing Empty Re: Fashion advisor/personal shopper listing

Post by reboot Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 pm

I will keep posting the stuff SIL sends out. She is back working in fashion so is always in the know. And she is thrifty, so she tends to pass on affordable ideas
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:45 pm

Official request for something similar for guys.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Fashion Stork and Box Club are similar companies for guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Damn, looks like Stitch Fix doesn't do my size Crying
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:44 pm

I asked SiL for a plus sized and s few for men like this and this

And why am I not surprised that the plus size service is more expensive than the smaller sized ($25 vs $20) and the men's services do not have any fee at all

EDIT: Sorry messed first men's link. this is the right one

Last edited by reboot on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:54 pm

reboot wrote:I asked SiL for a plus sized and s few for men like this and this

And why am I not surprised that the plus size service is more expensive than the smaller sized ($25 vs $20) and the men's services do not have any fee at all

Dis, dis I like. :3

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Then I can keep getting more referrals. SiL cannot vouch for the plus size or men's services because she has never used them, but they were referred to her by people in the know.

If anyone wants me to hit her up for any other recs let me know. She is kind of loving the fact that, since she is back in the workforce and in the industry, she can do these things for me.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Women:

Keaton Row: includes plus size, petite, and maternity

My Stylit: free to sign up. Stylists put together a weekly look tailored to body type and personal taste, and offer tips on wearing it. No obligation to purchase, but each piece in the outfit graphic links directly to the item.

Everyone:

Shop It to Me: A bit different, but if you sign up (free!) you'll get an email when pieces from your favorite brands are available on sale. You put in your sizes as well so you'll only get an email if what's on sale is actually available in your size.

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:01 pm

These are not cheap, but they are reportedly very well made by hand: custom designed women's shoes
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Everywear is basically Tinder for clothes. The clothes themselves can be $$$ but might be worth it for special occasions
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:16 pm

reboot wrote:

Also not altogether surprising: many of the women's sites seem to put more emphasis on how you'll look so much better than your current sad self, and the men's are like "we'll send some good looking fashionable stuff but we aren't trying to change you or anything.

The men's marketing puts emphasis on relieving you of the burden of spending any time doing un-manly things like shop for clothes or (hells forbid) sew or mend your own stuff. Because I guess that means you get to spend more of your time businessing and drinking beer.

ETA: Extra cynical this morning. Bombfell's "classic" model: conventionally good looking white guy. "Casual": middle aged white guy. "Preppy": Asian guy who even has me assuming he works in IT. "Hipster": young white guy. And that tells me they definitely know what they're doing.

As Harris is fond of saying, clothing style is about finding your archetype and playing to it. What could be more archetypal than the stereotypical?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:33 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:
reboot wrote:

Also not altogether surprising: many of the women's sites seem to put more emphasis on how you'll look so much better than your current sad self, and the men's are like "we'll send some good looking fashionable stuff but we aren't trying to change you or anything.

The men's marketing puts emphasis on relieving you of the burden of spending any time doing un-manly things like shop for clothes or (hells forbid) sew or mend your own stuff. Because I guess that means you get to spend more of your time businessing and drinking beer.

ETA: Extra cynical this morning. Bombfell's "classic" model: conventionally good looking white guy. "Casual": middle aged white guy. "Preppy": Asian guy who even has me assuming he works in IT. "Hipster": young white guy. And that tells me they definitely know what they're doing.

As Harris is fond of saying, clothing style is about finding your archetype and playing to it. What could be more archetypal than the stereotypical?

But does that explain the price difference for plus sized women vs not plus sized?

And cosign on the Asian=IT. Rooms gets asked if he is in IT a lot, which is kind of ridiculous when you add in the fact that he is short 1 leg, has shrapnel scars on his face, a military haircut and a Marine Corps tattoo on his neck. If he was not Asian, no one would think he was anything but military
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Asian men = IT, Asian women have a slightly different set of stereotypes.

My thought with plus sized clothes in general is that more fabric = more expensive, but obviously that doesn't hold up everywhere (and makes no sense when buying a service and not the clothing itself). Another explanation could be that someone thinks the plus sized market is smaller or spends less on clothes so the other costs (website hosting, infrastructure, hiring X stylists) are less defrayed? Or maybe the lack of competition allows them to set higher prices? (may be talking nonsense here--still can't figure out why all colors of paint are priced the same)

Thank you all for the links--been looking through most of the women's ones now that I have an income and need to retire my college T-shirts.

Are these prices to be expected though? When I went shopping for work shirts the two I settled on were ~$35 apiece which seemed exorbitant, but had a good material/color/drape/fit, and they were machine washable and seemed like they would wear well. I understand that the target demographic for many of these sites likely are more established people with a larger income, but the stitch fix stuff doesn't (to me) look like it's worth $55/apiece on average. IDK, if anyone doesn't mind sharing their clothing budget/advice I'm curious. (My money gut feeling is based on "how many paperback books can that buy" and it probably needs calibration).
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:24 pm

My feelings are still generally based on "what did something vaguely that shape cost at Lihue Kmart eight years ago" so the claim that $69 per fragment is "accessible" kind of frightens me, but the price of the Uniqlo stuff I picked out based on Lemminkainen's reccommendations was similar and I went and got that stuff anyway.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:25 pm

The better clothes are made the more they cost but they last longer. So best bet is getting a few items that are more $$ but last for years. Sort of timeless items. I have some clothes that are 20+ years old
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Thank you both. I think I understand the part about wearing well, but it seems like quality is a guarantee of cost, but the converse is not true--especially once you venture into things beyond T-shirts. I've been somewhat trained at spotting 'will come out of the dryer in one piece X years later' in person, but if you have tips for in-person or online they'd be welcome.
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:52 pm

My mom is a seamstress, so I just kind of know, but this is a decent list of what to look for
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:14 pm

readertorider wrote:Thank you both. I think I understand the part about wearing well, but it seems like quality is a guarantee of cost, but the converse is not true--especially once you venture into things beyond T-shirts. I've been somewhat trained at spotting 'will come out of the dryer in one piece X years later' in person, but if you have tips for in-person or online they'd be welcome.

I research brands a lot before committing to a new, expensive piece of wardrobe because I expect them to stick around. The fact that a brand has a popular name isn't necessarily a reflection of its quality. Personally, I use reviews on Style Forum, reditt/mensfashion, and occasionally Ask Andy About Clothes a lot to find brands that have good quality/cost ratios.

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrissyOrig Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:22 pm

reboot wrote:These are not cheap, but they are reportedly very well made by hand: custom designed women's shoes

Shoes of Prey is a similar company (love their design elements). My fav ad for them is a video of a Sydney run in high heels.

ChrissyOrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum