NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joys and Good News

+48
Datelessman
nearly_takuan
Enail
Hielario
Hirundo Bos
berrybear
DoubtfulGuest
Mara_
Amygdala
litterature
aennilla
Jayce
Caffeinated
InkAndComb
HSavinien
readertorider
lonelyoffices
JP McBride
reboundstudent
Aggrax
PintsizeBro
waxingjaney
jcorozza
V
Conreezy
sky
Olmajor
Prajnaparamita
Barretts_Salt
Robjection
Dan_Brodribb
Izmuth
BasedBuzzed
KMR
azazel
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
kleenestar
caliseivy
WJMorris3
Gentleman Johnny
Wondering
Gman
kath
eselle28
reboot
fakely mctest
52 posters

Page 2 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Go down

Joys and Good News - Page 2 Empty Re: Joys and Good News

Post by Gman Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Well I just acted as DJ of the night at my local social salsa dancing place. Nothing really that dramatic, even though I chose the songs, they did get proofed by people who actually know thier salsa music. 
4 Different people came up to me to thank me for putting on fantastic music. I really don't think that I put any kind of special songs, just songs that I basically like :-). The reason why I think people liked it so much, was the fact that the usual person who puts the salsa music, isn't around right now (on vacation), so a friend of mine - who took control over the organization of the evening instead of the usual person, asked me if I wanted to DJ. The usual guy is kind of old and generally puts on almost the exact same tracks every single week...... so no wonder people were amazed, when they discovered that there are more than the 20-30 tracks that the other guy puts on usually  Razz
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:47 pm

Eighteenth anniversary tomorrow. Still have a huge goddamn crush on my guy. Still think he's the finest man I've ever known. Still wake up every day feeling incredibly lucky.
kleenestar
kleenestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:01 am

I finished writing my first-ever research grant application today! Growin' up like a real academic!

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Lemminkainen wrote:I finished writing my first-ever research grant application today!  Growin' up like a real academic!

Whoo, good job Lemmi! You're officially in the funding rat race now (and good luck, I hope you get it)! I just got my first IRB approval this week, so it seems to be a season for milestones... Smile
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:28 am

A pretty minor joy: I have a ton of problems with my father, but tonight I remembered something pretty cool about him. He likes to make wooden toys for my niece, and this month's gifts were rolling trucks, including a semi. I have no clue whether he was intentionally helping to add some neutral or boyish toys to the very gendered options that are available in the commercial toy aisles, but it's nice to have some variety all the same. And, thinking back on things, he was always pretty cool about that kind of stuff when I was a kid and thought I should have the option to play with boys toys or girls toys or neutral toys as I wished.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:17 am

Went to a bar last night, planning to do karaoke. Karaoke did not happen, but I watched college football with a kind of staggering number of men, by the end. I flirted, had fun, and felt cool and undeniably female and desirable in a way I often don't. One of the guys even half-asked me out again, which I declined because I was fairly sure he wouldn't like the totality of me nearly as much as he liked "flirty football chick at bar." Still, it was fun, in a waaaaaay outside my comfort zone kind of way. Hooray!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:06 pm

Wow, I just came back from one hell of a night. First it started with a meetup of some people from a local volunteering group I know, which are preparing an activity for this wednesday, so I came to hear what the plan is. Met a lot of people and had some interesting conversations overall, even though it was a bit intimidating to me, lots of people I don't know etc. But despite all that, I did decide to bite the bullet and I asked this cute girl I met there for her number and suprisingly enough she agreed. Not that a number means much, but still, it's the first number I got since I broke with my ex, so YAY!

But that's was just the beginning. From there, I moved on to a local bar, where a friend of mine invited me to a small party. There weren't too many people there, but my friend was DJing and the theme was 90's songs, so it was all these great hits from the past and it was a lot of fun. Near the beginning another really cute girl entered the place and started dancing near me. Once I saw she was eyeing me a lot, decided to use my salsa moves on her and she seemed to be quite entertained. Later we talked a bit outside and turns out she is quite smart (starting her M.A. like me) and to be honest I am a bit charmed by her. When we exchanged numbers, she wrote my name as "Gman Salsa", so I can be a bit secure that even if nothing turns out from this, at least I left a good initial impression lol  Cool

So that's not one, but TWO numbers in a single night. Definitely a new record for me. Not that numbers mean a lot anyway, but hey, it's a start and a guy can always keep on dreamin  innocent. AND one KICK ASS PARTY. My friend really nailed it with the music.

The best thing about this entire evening is just how much FUN I had this night, so no matter what turns out on the romantic part, this night is a total WIN for me. 
Gonna be dishing out some good vibrations this week, that's for sure:

Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:09 pm

I asserted a hard boundary the other day, and the guy was really cool about it! I can't remember the last time I really explicitly set a boundary with a non-family member.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:08 pm

I left my knitted snood on the table and one of my cats has curled up upside-down in it with all the paws sticking out. Then the other one keeps winsomely attacking the legs of the chair I am sitting in, in a blatant ploy to get belly rubs. Tiny things but I am nearly ded of cute. They are such a joy.

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:32 pm

I just got a job offer!

Joys and Good News - Page 2 Giphy

It's only a few hours a week, but on a permanent contract with set hours, so I can continue to look for other work to fit around it! And it's 5 minutes down the road! And I start this weekend!

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:34 pm

Whooooo! Grin I'm glad all our luck-wishing and good vibes helped. ;D

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:54 pm

BUNNY!!!! That's amazing, well done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Giant Kermit-the-Frog-style-arms-waving YAYYYYYYY!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Oh man that sounds perfect. Take all of my fist-bumps and some of his:
Joys and Good News - Page 2 Stephen-colbert-excited-gif-3
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Oh, congrats, Bunny!
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Yay, Bunny! So happy for you!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Thank you everyone!

Now. All I need to do is sort out my work-wear to match uniform requirements. Shouldn't be too hard to find a plus-size fitted plain black work-shirt that will accommodate J-cup tits.

...Right?

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Belated but heartfelt YAY BUNNY!
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Congrats Bunny!

What are you going to do if I can ask?

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 pm

That's great news, Bunny. Congrats!
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Nothing massively exciting - customer service retail work at a local high-street chain. But it's just a fantastic move all-around for me. The company I'm going to work for are very staff-oriented in terms of how they run things.

They do NOT offer temp contracts except under very special circumstances - everyone comes in to a permanent role. They do NOT offer zero hours contracts - everyone knows the minimum hours they will work, and has a specific set schedule for those hours that they can specify and that does not deviate (one person who works there is a young mother with school-age children, so they set her hours to start and finish between school drop-off and pick-up times). Everyone can volunteer for as much or as little overtime as they want. And it's normal that - if someone moves home to a new town, they will do everything they can to transfer that person to working in a store where they live, so they don't have to worry about looking for work when they move. Oh, and the interviewer gave me the details of the union that the company recognises, because they also try to work with the retail union in question.

It's an ideal thing to take on right now - my set hours are on a weekend, so if I see any good office work going around here I can apply for it and potentially keep both jobs. It also means I won't need to worry about scheduling my accountancy exams around shift work, because any exams will take place on a weekday.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:27 pm

Awesome, that sounds like a great work environment.

Anyhow, first time on live radio as a bro let me have the awesome chance to plug a charity drive for the non-profit I'm on the board for. Admitting to the local area that I shave tats in my chest hair is a small price to pay for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Congratulations and good luck!
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:16 pm

I was dreading the speech I had to give today in class. I didn't think I did particularly well.

Somehow it graded out as 97%. Couldn't tell you how but...

That said, if anyone wants to see the speech, I could provide a video...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:53 am

That is amazing WJ, we fully expect to see you in the Senate one day being persuasive!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 35 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum