NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+32
Nerdator
Xexyz
Gman
kath
CP96
Wondering
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
reboundstudent
BiSian
Dannyboy
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
Chickpea Sarada
Andrew Corvero
reboot
lonelyoffices
jcorozza
WJMorris3
Conreezy
litterature
eselle28
Izmuth
Werel
PintsizeBro
nearly_takuan
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
caliseivy
Robjection
The Wisp
Hirundo Bos
36 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 16 Empty Re: Rants

Post by reboundstudent Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm all for ethical non-monogamy and no doxx'ing, but asking me to equate cheaters from AM to HIV patients from the 70's (cause they both get shamed by society, see!) is just a little freaking hard to swallow.

Heck, asking me to feel sorry for AM cheaters at all is going to rub me the wrong way.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:05 pm

Dear college.

The class I'm taking this semester costs $412.50.

The bookstore wants $276.45 for the book; no rentals available, no used books available, and the ISBN, when plugged into Amazon or bn.com is coming up no results found.

Really? What the heck?

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:05 am

Dear furniture store, assembling the dinette set I bought has an extra fee? That's like a restaurant listing the price of the dish on the menu, but then charging extra to cook the food.
Chickpea Sarada
Chickpea Sarada

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:26 am

bloody hell mate, i just wanted to learn the standard measurements of lightweight jackets and all I got was a barrage of facial hair, leather shoes, pictures of hemingway and steve mcqueen (steve mcqueen is a fashion idol?!!!!), stupid jokes about skinny jeans and people who were unhealthily obsessed with "not looking like a kid"
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:57 am

>did not make it through evaluation period at jerb
>"me and colleagues agree that you don't live up to the impression of strong communication skills and representativeness that we had of you in interview"
>no instructions beforehand on how to handle complaints by exam candidates, where the keys are, numerous exams missed key parts, timetables were wrong and when the listening exercises didn't work the staff instructed me to rip movie fragments from the BBC site as if it was Youtube

Asked for more detail, along with a polite suggestion to provide function-specific FAQs to sent to new freelancers beforehand that cover most eventualities. If I don't hear back, I'll attribute it that they're trying to be diplomatic about my tendency to agree with exam candidates that the above-mentioned mistakes were unprofessional and autismal body language.

First order thoughts: you search for mistakes by others because of sour grapes and the fear that if you can't hack it in a bungled setting as this, you'll never find work in a more professional environment. You read up all the time on kooks and loonies who have been in comfortable, high-esteem jobs for years to alleviate your own fears while failing to look at the factors that made people forgive these flaws. This is all because the moment you confront possible factors that you need to improve, you feel you have to change aspects of your character fundamentally.

Second order thoughts: allow yourself to feel down for once in your goddamn life. Tap that emotional bank without reeling back from anyone expressing simple sympathy. Not everything will lead to a satisfying explanation, not everything is a verdict on you as a person, not everything is a lesson to be analyzed.

Third order thoughts: take a look at your FB-groups. See all those dead groups you started that never went anywhere? Failure has always been part of your life, yet you've forgotten this shit because your memory is self-serving as fuck, unless you need to indulge in a pity party. Imagine the co-ordinators bouncing that email back and forth trying to figure out how to politely say that you came across as a weirdo. Imagine the teachers whining about you as another representative of millenials who can't do shit. Imagine them cracking mean-spirited jokes and imitations of any tics you might have displayed. Imagine the hypothetical reactions should you make a thread on any imageboard about this situation, which will be divided between had-it-worse bootstraps stories, hyperbolic condemnations of normie employers and the polite suggestion to off oneself(which will result in a debate on how to best livestream that pianowire-noose-plus-glue classic). Have you ever displayed any of this behaviour while on the other end of this equation? A thousand times yes. If you don't want to be a hypocrite, let it go over you, and then realize you've written tl;dr shit while there's an FB group for vacancies on click away. Get to writing, maggot.

(On a side-note, writing this out actually helps, I was laughing by the time I came to the third order part: sufficiently advanced cynicism is indistinguishable from optimism)

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:12 pm

BB: simple sympathy about the job, followed by fistbump for the rest of it (especially the last bit).
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:51 am

Goddamn it, I'm trying to sleep!! No. More. Slamming. Doors!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:34 pm

I've split the fantasy football talk to its own thread here.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:57 am

Yeah, you really are ignoring me Crying
Why me? What the hell did I do to warrant going from hot straight to freezing cold?
I don't have the heart for stuff like this; you've wasted my time and my energy with this bullshit and I can't even tell you to fuck because you stopped responding to my communication.
Now I get to go back to only being attractive to assholes who think they're doing me a favor, and creepy old men who are old enough to be my grandfather. Yay.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:34 pm

I always liked working 40 hours a week rather than 60. Having my hours cut to 25 a week is...less than ideal. Which is why I'm one of the few people in the world who's hoping the price of oil will go up rather than down.

Apparently I need to both dust off my substitute teaching license and start being a little more motivated when it comes to looking for a different job.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:44 am

The low price of oil is making people in my neck of the woods pretty down in the mouth.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 am

Ugh. You really shouldn't be able to make "but she lied about her age" a valid defense to the charge. And now they're vacating the little cretin's sentence?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:59 am

I wish people were actually as compassionate as they tell themselves they are.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Imagine if I reduced all your behaviour to your gender. Every protest only serves as further confirmation, because there is stereotype enough to cover everything you do. But I'm here to help. I'm here to offer a healthier version of you. I can only show you the way, you will have to do the work. No complaining, that just shows how spoiled and coddled you are. It's fine if you decide not to take me up on it. Sad and typical, but there's nothing you can do about it given the influences you get from everywhere in society. I'm not going to argue with you, because you're unable to be honest with yourself, and will thus argue in a dishonest manner all to protect your sense of self.

See how utterly creepy that is? Then don't fucking do it to the other sex, regardless of which one you are.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:28 am

Why is it so much harder to sleep on nights when it's important to get a lot of sleep? I hate my stupid brain sometimes.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like pumpkin spice, even though I'm supposedly not the right gender to fit the stereotype. But pumpkin spice chicken sausage? Really?

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Hey dog: don't run out the front door, go frolic in wet cement, and track a bunch back in the house ever again. Just don't. Next time, I'm going to let you harden into a little dog statue. Disapproving
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:09 pm

This whole debacle just proves anyone will dump applause light articles without bothering to verify anything and then retroactively claim they thought the scribblings were trite and not up to the usual standards of whatever rag they're running. Best of all, all the coverage means he will spawn a ton of more convincing and classy accelerants who will keep making a fool of you hacks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:57 am

Two weeks ago I started my first full-time job. Thing about this job was that the role was created when the owner of the company heard about me and thought I would be a useful asset. Not only was this job full-time, it was practically tailored to suit me! It was almost too good to be true!

This morning I get a text message from the owner of the company to say that they've gone into administration, which means I'm now out of work. Again. Too good to be true indeed.

On the plus side I learned a bit about web development in those two weeks. Maybe I should go freelance.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:03 pm

I now remember why I despise cooking so much:
Every time I do it, my mother insists on hovering around and telling me what to do and how to do it or questioning my decisions as though I'm still a child learning how to do something brand new. She also has a habit of getting in the way with some project she wants to do shortly before I need to get working in the kitchen, so I get things started and done late.
Wasn't even stoked about my first slow cooker-made meal; you ruined the whole damn experience.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:49 am

Another one for the "redeemed nerd" bin, and it makes me want to headdesk. Either you start sincerely believing that external locus of control, or you can actually rely on peeps to have a combo of blinders and attention spans that makes it impossible for them to read between the lines.

Back to top Go down

Post by KitKat Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Dedicated to the dude sitting in class with laptop-wallpapers of heavily sexualized female popculture characters.

Rants - Page 16 SLsUD9h

KitKat

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 pm

"Why no, of course I didn't knock over the garbage and scatter shrimp tails all over the living room. It was burglars. No, aliens. Dogs? Alien burglar dogs! They're very interested in shrimp, you know."

Rants - Page 16 UFuoObj
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:48 pm

You're not taunted because of sour grapes, but because of dried grapes(eg, your face looks like those with all the grumbling you do). The only way to turn that frown upside down would be in zero gravity, and I don't think you'll ever let the gravity you see in everything go. You put the cock in peacock, are in dire need of a monocle and hopefully also a rich inheritance you can waste on the next failed Very Serious Work of Art. You can't simultaneously use the correct argument that there's a market for the type of art you make and then turn around a lament capitalism when your business venture fails(products shat out by large corporations flop all the time too, and they're not likely to steal your market share, so that excuse goes out the window). You hate your audience but need them in order to have something to look down on.

Last edited by BasedBuzzed on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Just once, I'd like to have an emotion that wasn't "wrong."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum: