NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+34
bomaye
Hielario
Hirundo Bos
The Mikey
G minor
Yoshiland
Amygdala
Aggrax
Izmuth
Mara_
Prajnaparamita
Mme. Lara
Conreezy
WJMorris3
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
Barretts_Salt
Xexyz
sky
Caffeinated
KMR
caliseivy
kath
litterature
Gentleman Johnny
Robjection
waxingjaney
readertorider
PintsizeBro
Wondering
The Wisp
eselle28
reboot
nearly_takuan
38 posters

Page 2 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:12 pm

I really wish OKC had a "save for later" feature where I could just queue up everyone I'm kind of interested in but who would take more time to message than I have right now.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:18 pm

I used to use a chrome plug-in for that, but recent changes to the site layout and api pretty much broke it.

Bookmarks still work though. Razz
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:26 pm

Ricky Gervais' laugh is the shit.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Hello dopeness, my old friend. Steadily expanding the stuff you do until you can't remember how many committees you're actually in is a bad good plan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:16 am

There's something that's been bothering me a lot lately.

When my older sister was 26, my mother went batshit crazy when my sister dared to start dating.

When my younger sister was 21 or 22, my mother talked about how "I am so glad the only people she knows are on the internet, and they're so far away she'll never actually meet them". A while later, when my sister met a guy online who she wanted to pursue a relationship with in real life, my mother again went batshit crazy, and begged me to find a way to stop her.

If my sisters weren't old enough for those things in their early-to-mid 20s, then when in the name of hell did my mother think they'd be old enough?

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:03 pm

So, there's this game just came out, called Cradle.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 Wallpaper_ida

Sci-fi puzzle/role-play thing. Seemingly genderless "protagonist". Seems cool.

Trailer opens with...picking up robot-girl's boobs and touching various parts of her chest and legs in your efforts to "repair" her. I mean, sure, how else would you do that, but is this the "experience" they're selling?

What would Anita Sarkeesian think?

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 Anita-sarkeesian

Oh.....what?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:46 am

"You got nothing to worry about till you see an explosion." I still don't like hearing them while I'm just trying to watch TV, though. Also please keep it down with the F22s
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:39 am

Note to self: stop pedestalling traits in news reporting as enlightened when they can be just as obfuscating. Disclosures can be written down as euphemism, hearing both sides can still mean you choose the worst argument from one side, pointing out one's own bias can be done in a disarming manner that hides how slanted your views actually are, highlighting contradictory statements can be snipped out of context or rule out change of viewpoints, tone is irrelevant, motive of the author is the last thing that should be criticized about a story. Skepticism is not an end in itself, but you can never neglect it.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Mixed feelings about all these "message me if...respond directly to this challenge or I'll ignore your message!! profiles I keep finding lately. Always comes across as demanding, but it actually ends up giving me an easy starting point for a message.

Would I advise people to use the tactic? Well, IMHO it's possible to get interesting responses that way, but I have my doubts anyone who wasn't at least a little desperate would have the patience for these lengthy Captchas.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:23 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:
Would I advise people to use the tactic? Well, IMHO it's possible to get interesting responses that way, but I have my doubts anyone who wasn't at least a little desperate would have the patience for these lengthy Captchas.

The only place where I think it might do some good is on Craigslist, where there's so much webcam spam that I could see a reasonable person asking for a specific subject line to save time. Anywhere else, I think it's an odd request. You shouldn't need a captcha to tell whether someone read your profile or not.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 pm

I will only reply if you message contains a line from a Robert Frost poem, a geometric proof, an authentic Haitian Voodou chant and a signed endorsement from Stephen Hawking. If you can't spend the extra time, you will be deleted.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 pm

This morning I had to do the following:

• Describe my "weirdest" scar and how I got it
  • Describe a cat I interact with regularly
  • Describe the "strangest" thing I've watched from start to finish on Netflix
  • Describe the worst date I've ever had (cheated a little on this one by using an instance I don't normally count as a date)
  • Choose between bungee jumping and diving with sharks
  • Name and explain my favorite smell

For one person.

Works for me; I was able to answer most of those in a way that I think shows some of my character in addition to being interesting. Just hope the person who decided to ask all these things is going to be willing to put in some work to show whether she's interested. Because her profile essays contained almost no information. Razz
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:34 pm

I really don't understand channel surfing. How is it at all relaxing or entertaining to frantically search for a channel, turn to it, watch something for 15 seconds to a few minutes, then frantically try to find a new channel, and rinse and repeat for a couple hours? It seems to just make one anxious and not actually watch anything interesting.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Behold! The best Choose Your Own Adventure ever conceived! Click now for almost endless amusement!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:18 pm

That awkward moment when you let your facial hair grow out for a week and start looking like s supervillain.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:14 pm

The old Captain America movie is so '80s it hurts, but it had a better take on Red Skull.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:22 am

Huh. I laid awake thinking about a situation I was in where I wasn't all that impressed with my own behavior, but there were things about it that confused me, so I started composing a forum post about it, but didn't know how to phrase it without giving away information about people other than me. But what happened was I also begun to imagine the replies I would get, and through the imagined conversation found more clarity and a part solution. So thanks for the good advice, imaginary-versions-of-you-people Smile

Or more seriously, thank to all of you for being a good presence and a place of learning in my life.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:40 am

Heart What a nice post. Thanks, Hirundo.

(& I've had that exact same experience. Thanks y'all)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:30 pm

This might make me "stupid," Mr. Trump, but I'm not sure how former Governor Jeb Bush can build a wall or how a wall around the edges of Florida will stop immigration from Mexico. Has there been some sudden increase in the number of stingrays and dolphins immigrating illegally? Do you have some bias against mermaids and think they're more likely to be criminals?
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:18 pm

It is obvious tonight who lost the debate.

Mr. Wallace, Ms. Kelly, and Mr. Baier.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:14 am

https://xkcd.com/1183/

For some reason my Chrome window has been overrun by xkcd tabs. 18 and counting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:54 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:It is obvious tonight who lost the debate.

The American people.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:04 am

The posturing when someone tries to drive in 'your' space, aping someone's dance moves in that ambiguous manner whether you're not sure they're mocking or playful, pointing at someone saying he/she might be someone's type to make the lookee cringe...I do these things when in domains I am more at home and their meaning when I'm the recipient is thus just as fleeting. I can't believe it took me this long to get it rammed home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:00 am

I used to think motivation would arrive suddenly, like a thunderbolt. But sometimes I suspect I feel it growing slowly inside me like a hard little kernel.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:20 am

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 2 Okstupid

What I have twenty-four of presently are distinct conversations with people. (The only messages I keep indefinitely are the ones that get at least one reply.) So apparently thirty-six page-long messages still just count as "one" for the purpose of OkC's message storage. Clearly, then, the kilobytes of space a block of text takes up in their storage system are not actually a concern. Why, then, have a limit at all? Is it so a given auto-generated account bot can only send 5000 spam messages before it has to be recycled? Also, how does anyone actually hit that 5000 message limit? o_O
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 27 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum