NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well, this is awkward

+4
Wondering
BasedBuzzed
reboot
eselle28
8 posters

Go down

Well, this is awkward Empty Well, this is awkward

Post by eselle28 Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:10 pm

My mom retired a couple years ago, and she sent me a text yesterday saying that she was cleaning out her professional wardrobe, that my sister had already looked over and taken some of her dress pants and skirts, and that she wanted me to come over for lunch look over her tops and dresses (I'm basically my mom but 4" taller and my sister is basically my mom with smaller shoulders; we all wear roughly the same number size) too before she packed the rest up and donated them.

I agree, mostly because it seems polite. Also, I know my mom has a bunch of J Crew cashmere sweaters, which I like but can't justify buying. Okay, so, a few sweaters in my pile and a couple in the nope pile because brunette mom can wear some pastels that I should run away from. And...now that I've peeked under the jacket she usually wears over that sheath, I can't really say I don't want the dress part of the pair. I own the same one in a different color. And apparently there's a red trench coat? I've never seen her wear that, but surely a woman of any age can wear a red trench coat. Oh, and there's a skirt my sister passed on because she doesn't like houndstooth. I adore houndstooth. It's a couple inches above my knees because it's a petite size, but I can always wear black tights with it...

So, yeah, my mom was giving away her clothes, and I walked out with an armful of stuff. I'd mourn the fact that I've started dressing like my mother, but I've apparently been dressing like my mother for years.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Well, this is awkward Empty Re: Well, this is awkward

Post by reboot Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:17 pm

Once we start dressing in non-teen styles we are all dressed like someone's mother.

I want to dress like my mom, but that is because she only wears housecoat and slippers now. Looks so comfy!
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Lel, I'm a dude and I've nicked some of my mom's clothes from her 'rocker' phase(mostly unisex stuff, but still). You're fine.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:07 pm

After my grandmother died, I took some of her clothes. She was a classy dresser, and they looked good for church or work. She was also the same height as me.

So, you're one step better than me with only taking some of your mom's clothes. Wink

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by OtherRoooToo Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 pm

eselle28 wrote:And...now that I've peeked under the jacket she usually wears over that sheath, I can't really say I don't want the dress part of the pair. I own the same one in a different color. And apparently there's a red trench coat? I've never seen her wear that, but surely a woman of any age can wear a red trench coat. Oh, and there's a skirt my sister passed on because she doesn't like houndstooth. I adore houndstooth. It's a couple inches above my knees because it's a petite size, but I can always wear black tights with it...

So, yeah, my mom was giving away her clothes, and I walked out with an armful of stuff. I'd mourn the fact that I've started dressing like my mother, but I've apparently been dressing like my mother for years.

IF both Mom and Daughter are professional folks, I could swear this happens to a bunch of us.

I've "inherited" blazers & "office sweaters" of my mom's without a second thought, LOL (except, as you say, if it's a color in which she looked great but in which I appear to have an advanced case of jaundice).

Shocked Facepalm Laughing

OtherRoooToo

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:54 pm

This is true. A great deal of professional clothing in classic styles tends not to vary all that much with either the year or the wearer's age, which certainly makes life easier when shopping budgets aren't unlimited. I've actually been wearing the things I picked up quite a bit this fall, and the red coat and a lovely mint colored cardigan have received several compliments, so I'm glad I took Mom up on the offer and got over my hangups about past ownership!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:35 am

Wondering wrote:After my grandmother died, I took some of her clothes. She was a classy dresser, and they looked good for church or work. She was also the same height as me.

So, you're one step better than me with only taking some of your mom's clothes. Wink

I had forgotten about this until the thread was bumped, but I have actually worn something of my grandmother's that wasn't jewelry. I forget the context, but as a teenager I came across a coat of hers that was clearly from many years ago but looked almost like new (like a lot of Depression era women, she was super careful with her clothes). It wasn't really what was in style, but I thought it was cool, and since she hadn't worn it in years she said I could have it. It looked sort of like this, except slate blue and with three fabric covered buttons:

Well, this is awkward Boden-eliza-coat

Being a pretty careless teenager, I wore it out in a few years. I should have kept it, though, because it's the kind of thing ModCloth sells for $300 these days.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by OtherRoooToo Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:59 am

eselle28 wrote:
Wondering wrote:After my grandmother died, I took some of her clothes. She was a classy dresser, and they looked good for church or work. She was also the same height as me.

I had forgotten about this until the thread was bumped, but I have actually worn something of my grandmother's that wasn't jewelry. I forget the context, but as a teenager I came across a coat of hers that was clearly from many years ago but looked almost like new (like a lot of Depression era women, she was super careful with her clothes). It wasn't really what was in style, but I thought it was cool, and since she hadn't worn it in years she said I could have it. It looked sort of like this, except slate blue and with three fabric covered buttons:

Well, this is awkward Boden-eliza-coat

Being a pretty careless teenager, I wore it out in a few years. I should have kept it, though, because it's the kind of thing ModCloth sells for $300 these days.

My grandmother was a dressmaker; I know what you mean about quality.

I have and wear (though it's increasingly delicate and I become more concerned about both cleaning it and wearing it) a silk blouse she made, with darts and covered buttons.

Not to go off on a rant, but I think it's related to something said previously - not only with the price of clothes these days, but their quality relative to price ... if an elder relative had taste and you happen to be the same size, if you receive an offer, it is nice to go what my mom and I call "shopping in the closet" when you can.

OtherRoooToo

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:41 pm

reboot wrote:I want to dress like my mom, but that is because she only wears housecoat and slippers now. Looks so comfy!

My favorite outfit senior year of college was a thrifted housedress that I wore with a cardigan, nude fishnets, knee socks, and tall suede boots. You can totally live that dream. Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:35 pm

That seems kinda overdone for a housedress, unless you mean something very different from what I'm thinking of.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:25 pm

waxingjaney wrote:That seems kinda overdone for a housedress, unless you mean something very different from what I'm thinking of.

It was very similar to this:

Well, this is awkward Il_570xN.835516612_lfzf

So basically a simple dress in an old-fashioned floral pattern that I wore around at every possible opportunity as outdoor clothing. My grandma, who was certainly a housedress enthusiast in her later years, wore hers strictly as indoor wear.

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:02 am

That sounds like an awesome ensemble!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Holy hell, Fakely, I am pretty sure my mom has that exact house dress, but the flowers are blue and purple. And I would definitely wear it
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum