NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate My Style Redux

+28
litterature
DoubtfulGuest
CP96
readertorider
jcorozza
AtlachNacha
Wondering
StrangePanda
LadyIkaros
Crimson
Stumbles
celette482
Jayce
8bitGreyscale
kath
reboot
Enail
Werel
reboundstudent
eselle28
BasedBuzzed
Conreezy
kleenestar
Lemminkainen
UristMcBunny
Suika
Gentleman Johnny
The Wisp
32 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Rate My Style Redux - Page 7 Empty Re: Rate My Style Redux

Post by reboot Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Chiming in on the not seeing fat here. A heavier fabric and a more fitted bust/top would polish the look more by making the fabric flow better, but you definitely do not look fat
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:35 pm

I kind of think what you're reading as "looking fat" is an empire waist doing what empire waists are supposed to do - they kind of billow out over the rest of the body, and that's part of why they can be flattering, because it subsumes the features you're looking to downplay into the shape of the dress. Which means the viewer can assume almost anything about the body underneath based on a few cues from what's visible, or based on their own initial assumptions. I think it looks good, it shows off your cleavage, and as far as I'm concerned that's all the body that I know exists, otherwise I assume you probably have one but it's a support I can't see for a pretty, flowing dress, not something I'm noticing; but I think you're looking at it with the question of if it makes you look fat, so you're focusing on the part that for an external viewer doesn't totally exist.

I would point out that your dress and the movie dress are quite different. Yours is very loose and billowy, while hers is much more fitted. Hers would have less of the empire waist's powers, I'd think, downplaying less but also offering less fabric volume to make assumptions about fat under.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Nthing everyone else that dress doesn't make you look fat. Agree though that perhaps a fabric with a better drape would make it less billowy? If you want you could maybe play around with your dress and maybe water + an iron to see if there's a level of stiffness/drape that you like better.

I personally don't like wearing empire waists--have a hand-me-down from elementary school and, while the side profile looks about the same as it did before, all I can see from the front is hips--so I don't think empire waists are for every body, but your dress does look good on you Smile
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubtfulGuest Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:36 am

Aah! Well, feels weird, but here's a couple self-portraits I took today. I hardly ever wear just a T-shirt by itself-usually a long sleeve button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up over a T-shirt, or just a button-down by itself or over an undershirt (in my experience, the button-down/sleeves rolled up combo works for me just about anywhere. Almost all of mine are plaid). The T-shirt one is just there to get an ideal of the overall shape.

Last edited by DoubtfulGuest on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubtfulGuest
DoubtfulGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:12 pm

It's a bit hard to judge from the pics as they seem to be a bit underexposed, so I'm not even sure which colours you're wearing, or what kind of trousers! But I think there's nothing wrong with your style - simple works if the colours match and the fit is good.
Actually, I think layering dress shirts/cardigans/light jackets over graphic tees can look pretty good if the colours go well together and the design on the tee is striking but not overwhelming, which is a nice way of making a nerdy statement and looking sharp! Also, I've found that if there's some really eye-catching coloured highlight in the tee itself, such as a big red blob set against white, matching your shoes and/or accessories to the colour of the highlights looks cool (imo)!
Btw, maybe the expression is a bit on the gloomy side for a selfie... I can never get smiling for the camera right - I always end up with white eyes or closed eyes and looking naff as hell, I wonder if someone might have some tips!

Anyway, I'd like to ask you guys for your opinion too!
I was tired of always squinting and wearing a permafrown outdoors, so I got the first cheap-arse shades I found and being able to open your eyes in the sun is the deecest - plus I think they make me feel a bit shielded so I can exercise looking more relaxed when I'm in busy places (and hopefully I will be able to manage looking relaxed without the shades someday!)

The thing is, I've always associated shades with douche-ish looks, so my question is: do I look like a total arse and/or a smug hipster berk? Are my clothes any good?
Also, I don't know what to do with my hair (besides washing it of course).

Last edited by litterature on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:30 pm

I almost always wear a t-shirt, dress shirt combo. It started out as a practical thing. If my psoriasis is flaring up, I'd rather get blood spots on a cheap t-shirt. Turns out its a pretty versatile look, though. Just be sure one or the other is neutral colored or that they both complement each other.

As for shades, they're not a douche thing in sunlight. Now Wayfarers and their knock-offs, which you're wearing, do have a more hipster connotation. Don't get me wrong, they look fine. Just don't wear them inside at night.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Nah, those are fine. Sunglasses are necessarily slightly douchey cause they make it impossible to read your eyes, but that is totally fine and normal when it's sunny. Razz GJ's right about Wayfarers, but if you're hipster-leaning and/or don't object to being vaguely lumped in with 'em, they work for your face.

Clothes look good, overall style gets my thumbs up, though I question the t-shirt tucking. Looks weird on a dude and visually shortens your torso.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubtfulGuest Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:43 am

litterature wrote:
Btw, maybe the expression is a bit on the gloomy side for a selfie... I can never get smiling for the camera right - I always end up with white eyes or closed eyes and looking naff as hell, I wonder if someone might have some tips!

Yeah, same problem here. I'm not particularly skilled at the art of the selfie. The pictures I took were admittedly a little crummy-if I want some decent ones, I may have to ask someone to take them for me (always feels weird, though). I'm wearing shorts in both pictures, which is generally just a summer thing for me.

Hey, your pics are solid, though! I like the jacket in the second one.
DoubtfulGuest
DoubtfulGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyboy Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 am

Littrature: Don't know if you'll get this, but your sunglasses remind me of Lou Reed, lol.

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks a lot!!

Haha, so I do look like a hipster then? Hm, I guess in terms of my taste in music, films and, to some extent, places to go (and glasses it seems!), I'm not far from a hipster, so I don't really mind, but I'm not that crazy about looking for the latest trends the way a proper hipster would, and also I think I'd never get into something that is obviously going to be a passing fad, unless I really really loved it of course. I'm also not a fan of the kind of... sentimentality of some indie stuff. Hm. I'd say I'm definitely "hipster-leaning" but I'll have to try and meet some people so I see what impression they get! I'm skint at the moment, though, so I can't really go out for now... we'll see when the semester begins! Anyway, I'm glad you didn't find me too douche-y!

@ Werel: Point about tucking tees in duly noted! You're right, it looks really daft Razz
@ Doubtful: I guess it's hard to pose in general... it'd be cool if phone cameras had really long self-timers so you could just do something and forget you're posing! Anyway, I'm glad you liked that jacket! It's from H&M in case you want one - for the price it's awesome, but I've heard H&M is really expensive in the States so it might not be worth it given how their clothes aren't too durable usually. It should be easy to find a plain baseball jacket for cheap though!
@ Dannyboy: Haha, if only I was 1/8 as cool as anyone in the Velvet Underground...!
BTW, what do you think about what Bobby Gillespie looked like when he was in J&MC (for example: here and here? It comes to mind because he aped Moe Tucker's standing drumming, so there's the VU reference...

Sorry I took so long to reply - I was looking for tips on how to layer graphic tees with shirts for DoubtfulGuest or anyone else since it's such a simple and cool look, but all I could find was rubbish Cosmopolitan-type pieces so I can't link to any page in particular. I think I've been able to salvage some "rules" from the bollocks, but most of them are pretty common sense so maybe I'll look a bit silly posting them as if I was saying something. Here they are, anyway (they're more about layering in general than the tee & shirt look, but I guess they still apply? I've got no idea about fashion so I'm just parroting the things I've read that didn't sound like a load of crap):

- In order to avoid looking too bulky, apparently it's important to make sure the base layers are relatively tight.

- Likewise, it seems like you should wear the kind of bottoms that make your legs or waist the most defined according to your body type: usually this means slim fit trousers but I guess it could be a different cut for bulkier people, or a high-waisted skirt, etc. The baggier the outer layer the tighter the trousers.

- I've read the outermost layer should be the longest and it does sound sensible, but honestly I think this looks pretty good. Maybe it's because the white breaks up the black or something? I dunno.

- Keep colours under control - since a graphic tee is usually the most eye-catching piece in an outfit, it's easier to make it the only coloured piece and stick with neutrals for the rest.

- This wasn't in the articles I read, but I've found medium/dark-ish grey is an easy colour for outer layers - it looks good with both dark blue/black and light grey jeans, and works well with colour tees.

- If everything is neutral and the result looks boring, you can always add a colourful scarf, backpack, shoes, etc.

I've spent a while trying to upload some pictures of colour combinations I think worked well but imgur isn't working... basically you can't go wrong with neutrals.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubtfulGuest Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Aah!

Alright, here's a better (more natural) photo of me from a couple months ago. I think the orange button-down doesn't fit as well as it could (I get most of my button-down shirts from thrift stores, and they don't all fit me the exact same way), but it's a pretty good illustration of how I look on a daily basis.

One of the issues I'm working on is being less of a perfectionist (or at least, prioritizing what I put energy into, rather than spending a lot of energy obsessing over trivial details), so while I know this particular shirt looks a little big on me in this photo (and there's some creases in the T-shirt, as well), I at least want to know if it's...acceptable? I'm working up the nerve to try online dating, but I'm not sure if there's any major changes I ought to make before doing so.

Last edited by DoubtfulGuest on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DoubtfulGuest
DoubtfulGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:40 pm

I like your style, DoubtfulGuest. It's casual but not just a T-shirt and I like the baggier pants and over shirt rolled to the elbow look on guys (only bad thing about it I can't read your T-shirt). Also you seem to have a really expressive face Smile

Do agree that the orange shirt in the latest picture looks a little big and I don't know that I like the orange on you, but it does look good with the khaki's and stand out so if you like it keep it!
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Wow, DoubtfulGuest, you look like a completely different person in your smiling photo than in the selfies. You have a great smile, show that and you shouldn't have much trouble. As for your clothes, they're ok. Personally I'd lean more toward blue jeans with the orange and black shirts, but maybe that's just me (I do particularly like blue and orange together).
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyoffices Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:56 am

I agree with Caffeinated on your smile, DoubtfulGuest. Your eyes are smiling in that last photo. Very engaging.

lonelyoffices

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubtfulGuest Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Aw, thanks (regarding smiling). Yeah, I probably get better results with other people taking pictures of me enjoying myself (I was at a show with friends in that last one) than I do trying to pose for myself. Those selfies are pretty dour (more than I intended).

I don't think I'm BIG-big...I'm 6'1'' and around 225 currently, and likely to lose a little over the next few months. I think maybe having the top shirt open makes me look a little bulkier than I actually am. I get good results with shirts buttoned up, though the downside of that is T-shirts aren't visible (in case there's something good on them, like the Daniel Johnston one I'm wearing in that last photo).

Honestly, just any positive feedback is great to read. I don't get that anywhere-positive or negative.
DoubtfulGuest
DoubtfulGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Masquerade party last weekend. I meet more interesting people per hour in the mask than any other way. Its too bad I only get a couple of uses out of it a year, because I always seem to come out of it with new friends/dates.

Rate My Style Redux - Page 7 11895910

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Haha, that looks fun GJ! And I agree that Doubtful's smile is great!

Do you think I look superdorky in a bad way or even creepy? I'm a bit self-conscious that I might look like an odd person nobody wants to associate with. Do I look like I'm a maladjusted person?

Also, do you think the F2 jacket looks too aggressive on me? These were popular with women a while ago and I liked the trend, but maybe it makes me look miri-ota? If I wore an anime or band tee with it that would definitely be neckbeard territory, right?

me:

Last edited by litterature on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:04 pm

I think the jacket's fine - it looks better open, and maybe with something with more color underneath?
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:26 pm

I dunno, to me you look just enough on the odd side of the hipster spectrum to be potentially cool. Like, the correct amount of intentful-looking aesthetic eccentricity. The shoes are cheeky and I think the jacket actually looks punker with the one button, but either way I think it works fine (you're prolly right to avoid an anime tee with that combo, though). Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks a lot for the feedback! :>
The shoes get extra points because I had a very similar pair a few years ago and they prompted this really messed up, toxic PUA bloke I used to know to tell me my taste in shoes was "kinda particular", so apparently they work pretty well as idiot detectors Razz

Anyway, "slightly eccentric hipster" is basically what I'm going for so I'm glad that's what you think I might look like!

As for wearing something more colourful, I agree the grey t-shirt probably didn't provide enough contrast. Maybe this is better?

I'm the operator with my pocket calculator:

Last edited by litterature on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:49 am; edited 2 times in total
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:58 am

I like that shirt under the jacket. It's got style.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:29 pm

Caffeinated wrote:I like that shirt under the jacket. It's got style.

You're too kind! :>

What do you think about this one?

Spoiler:

Last edited by litterature on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 am

litterature wrote:

What do you think about this one?

Spoiler:

I have absolutely no idea at all about dresses but the closest thing your combo reminds me of is this:

Rate My Style Redux - Page 7 Thunde10

I don't know if its the angle of the photo, but you seem really, really tall, like 1.9m. Maybe the dress makes you seem really tall?

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:09 am

A funky pattern might work. One of the guys I work with has some awesome tights and wears them mostly with skirts and they look totally wicked. It's usually a pattern that's mostly black with some colour, like if the tights above had the pattern in neon yellow.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Sorry about being so late!
I'm actually about 1.80 IIRC, but I think the dress looks very vertical and twiggy so from a distance it makes me look taller (if there's nobody else next to me! Razz)
That outfit you posted is really futuristic isn't it? I think having some sort of top over the dress is a good idea.

I'll try your suggestion, Kath! There seems to be more room for colourful stuff with more femenine clothes, so I want to try out lots of stuff... Last month I got a huge surplus parka that works very well with the dress, the black tights and the red Chucks I have lying around. I also want to get a long, navy skirt to go with the striped tee I wore with the military jacket, but surprisingly those are harder to find than I thought, most of the stuff I'm seeing is too frilly or really short...

I'm feeling lost currently. I don't feel terribly comfortable with labels such as "man", so I'm trying to work on a look that reflects that, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Do you have any good references for a more gender-ambiguous, but kinda femenine, look that's not too outlandish? All my dream references are basically plain anime schoolgirls and indie/punk women but I'm fairly sure I can't pull either off (schoolgirls are girly and my face isn't, whereas punk fashion is tough-looking and that accentuates my very obviously male facial features, although I'd be happy if I could have that kind of straight, short, black hair). Ideally I'd be able to simply go full Hato and be a not-particularly-masculine human some days and dress as a woman the rest of the time, but my genetics don't really help and my budget is becoming increasingly limited, so... (for example I definitely want to get rid of my facial hair someday but it probably won't be a possibility until I graduate and get a job, so I'll have to wait a couple of years and then save some money up... I bought some cheap make-up and that ate up 1/3 of my budget for the whole month!)

I'm especially worried about my hair. It's unruly and thin and it looks bad.

(sorry if this post is a bit solipsistic and self-centered!)
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum