NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate My Style Redux

+28
litterature
DoubtfulGuest
CP96
readertorider
jcorozza
AtlachNacha
Wondering
StrangePanda
LadyIkaros
Crimson
Stumbles
celette482
Jayce
8bitGreyscale
kath
reboot
Enail
Werel
reboundstudent
eselle28
BasedBuzzed
Conreezy
kleenestar
Lemminkainen
UristMcBunny
Suika
Gentleman Johnny
The Wisp
32 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Rate My Style Redux - Page 8 Empty Re: Rate My Style Redux

Post by Enail Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Maybe look up Visual Kei or Harajuku men's style? The former is punky and can be very androgynous, while the latter gets me lots of variety, heavy in something that reads a little more like hipster with a touch of punk to me, and I'm seeing some skirts and drapey elements that look fashion-forward but not super-outlandish.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:58 pm

These are some very good suggestions actually!! I'm even into some visual-kei bands, and I actually know someone who sells Harajuku-style clothes for a living. She's more into the cutesy, Decora end of things but I could maybe try and ask if I can borrow some fashion magazines from her :>

Thank you, Enail! Hopefully I'll be posting some new updates soon! Grin
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Oh, I'm glad it's a useful direction for you! I look forward to hearing what you come up with!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 am

...so right now I'm trying to strike some sort of balance between nerdiness, punk and cutesiness. What do you think? Are the socks too much? I'm going to a lesbian nerd meetup like this, I hope people don't find me too weird-looking!

Spoiler:
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:01 pm

God damn I love those knee socks on you, the color is perfect, zettai ryouiki all the way girl~! I think it's exactly what you described, nerdy punk and cute! The one thing I would have to say is that if you're finding the knee socks plus pleated mini skirt to be too much (which I'm not sure it is on you, but I find at least for me it's too much, and I look like I'm trying to pull off poor man's cosplay when I wear knee socks with flats/sneakers) what I would recommend is wearing boots with knee socks instead. It still gives you that punk/feminine look, but you don't as much appear to be trying to pass as a Catholic schoolgirl

Here's a (admittedly not very good) pic of me in that style--as it was the middle of winter (in Virginia, but still) I'm also wearing fleece lined tights with the knee socks over them for an extra pop of color:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:04 pm

ADORABLE.

(I'm biased cause I totally would have worn that outfit in high school/college, but regardless, I think you're nailing the cultural cross-section you're aiming for Razz)

Would also like to see it with boots as per Prajna's suggestion, though!
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:32 pm

Agreed, that's a cute look and spot-on nerd-punk.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:42 am

It works really well. Might be the lighting, but I'd go for making the lipstick/nail polish co-ordinate with the red of the socks/red on the t-shirt and make the shoelaces black for maximum aesthetic contrast. However, this is just my intuition, so feel free to ignore.

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Thank you for the feedback and the kind words! It really means a lot because it feels awesome to be able to finally present in a way that doesn't make me feel like I'm installed in a cyborg body with absolutely bonkers wiring, and one that of actually says something about me.

Zettai ryouiki indeed, haha! I love your pic, Prajna, especially the colours, and I lol'd at the Catholic school uniform comparison! Yeah, I've been meaning to get a pair of boots for a while, but it's not easy because I've got large feet (about W13~14/M11~11.5-ish depending on brand). I'd appreciate any suggestions for boots, though!
(side rant: I hate sizing standards with a passion. I'm wearing an XL size t-shirt in the picture, which is all sorts of messed up because I'm not even 6' and as you can see I'm not particularly chubby or large... in fact I'm usually an S in men's sizes?! Which is also quite messed up...

I really want to try your suggestion, BB! I think an all-black outfit with red highlights might look great if a little less cute - black hair would be nice too.

BTW, I think? I got the right kind of attention but turns out I don't know how to handle that at all. I'll post about it somewhere else.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:26 pm

litterature wrote:Thank you for the feedback and the kind words! It really means a lot because it feels awesome to be able to finally present in a way that doesn't make me feel like I'm installed in a cyborg body with absolutely bonkers wiring, and one that of actually says something about me.

I'm so glad you feel that way, it's been really wonderful to see you post these absolutely gorgeous selfies and I swear every time I see your style I'm like "goddamnit I wish we could be friends IRL so we could go thrift shopping together while fangirling over shoujo anime and then maybe you could teach me some of your makeup techniques!"

litterature wrote:
Zettai ryouiki indeed, haha! I love your pic, Prajna, especially the colours, and I lol'd at the Catholic school uniform comparison! Yeah, I've been meaning to get a pair of boots for a while, but it's not easy because I've got large feet (about W13~14/M11~11.5-ish depending on brand). I'd appreciate any suggestions for boots, though!

Yaaaayyyy and finally my addiction to online shopping can be used for good! Ahhh even if I can't be buying clothes for myself I love an excuse to look at shoes! Here's a bunch of boots/booties that all have a size 13 currently in stock (unfortunately there's not a ton of high lace up boots at the moment, but that's just because they aren't in season at the moment, I can update this list again in the fall if you'd like once more of them are in stock)

http://www.payless.com/womens-rooda-ankle-strap-boot/77415.html?dwvar_77415_color=cognacsuede

http://www.payless.com/womens-meadows-ankle-boot/77414.html?dwvar_77414_color=black

http://www.payless.com/womens-walker-fringe-boot/76958.html?dwvar_76958_color=cognac

http://www.payless.com/womens-vernon-commuter-boot/76607.html?dwvar_76607_color=brown

http://www.payless.com/womens-reed-commuter-boot/76606.html?dwvar_76606_color=black

http://www.payless.com/womens-brisk-fold-down-commuter/75409.html?dwvar_75409_color=black

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/steve+madden+judii+bootie?prodId=358815

Update: new entries

http://www.target.com/p/gia-mia-women-s-combat-dance-boots-black/-/A-16248642

http://www.target.com/p/gia-mia-women-s-combat-dance-boots-black/-/A-16262464

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-gia-mia-rock-star-studded-combat-boot/-/A-50411856

http://www.payless.com/womens-deejay-lace-up-boot/76435.html?dwvar_76435_color=black

Last edited by Prajnaparamita on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:13 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:
litterature wrote:Thank you for the feedback and the kind words! It really means a lot because it feels awesome to be able to finally present in a way that doesn't make me feel like I'm installed in a cyborg body with absolutely bonkers wiring, and one that of actually says something about me.

I'm so glad you feel that way, it's been really wonderful to see you post these absolutely gorgeous selfies and I swear every time I see your style I'm like "goddamnit I wish we could be friends IRL so we could go thrift shopping together while fangirling over shoujo anime and then maybe you could teach me some of your makeup techniques!"

That would be SO awesome!! But we can sorta go shopping together because your online shopping skills are the ultimate secret weapon! Yeah, I think tall lace-ups would be ideal, but some of those are really cute! It'd be really really awesome of you could update the list when they're in season, thanks a lot!!

For now, I'm amassing a collection of over the knee socks so I can get the perfect zettai ryouiki Grin
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Wooo~!
Zettai Ryouiki FTW!!!:

Anyway, online boot shopping for you has been super fun actually, having to track down size 13 means I have to be much more resourceful with what I'm looking for and go on far more of a hunt rather than just impulse purchasing the first thing I see! I tried again to see if places have their fall boots out yet, and it seems still too early as there wasn't yet a ton of options for high lace up boots, but I'll try again in a coupe weeks. In the meantime, I've updated the list with a couple new things that I've found

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum