NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate My Style Redux

+28
litterature
DoubtfulGuest
CP96
readertorider
jcorozza
AtlachNacha
Wondering
StrangePanda
LadyIkaros
Crimson
Stumbles
celette482
Jayce
8bitGreyscale
kath
reboot
Enail
Werel
reboundstudent
eselle28
BasedBuzzed
Conreezy
kleenestar
Lemminkainen
UristMcBunny
Suika
Gentleman Johnny
The Wisp
32 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Rate My Style Redux - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate My Style Redux

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:50 am

@BasedBuzzed:

I think that the first two looks you posted are pretty great, particularly for what you want them to be.

I think that the third is a little off. That tie is too loosely knotted and way too wide to be flattering. I also would recommend that you not wear a shirt that's mostly black with dark-colored pants unless you're also wearing some kind of spiffily-colored jacket. A brightly-colored shirt would make that outfit much more appealing.

@Wisp: If you're looking for a more formal option, have you considered something like this?

http://us.topman.com/en/tmus/product/suits-1950627/skinny-fit-suits-2205370/teal-ultra-skinny-suit-3162140?bi=1&ps=20

It would work well with your 70s-ish aesthetic, I think, particularly if you combined it with a cool bow tie or something like that.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:36 am

Marty that skirt looks so great! I agree that a longer jacket might work better with it - or, actually, even a shorter one. The skirt has such a nice shape to it, but that's concealed a bit by where the hem of the jacket falls.

(Tiny arm crew represent!)

I love your evening look - the neckline of that dress is especially nice.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:13 pm

UristMcBunny wrote:

With high fives that fail to reach? Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

@Wisp: Ooh, gosh, yes, definitely get different shoes. A casual wingtip like Werel suggests or the lace-ups I suggested before would go well, but even a pair of Chucks would also do.

@BasedBuzzed: Hard to see your full outfits in the first two pics (and admittedly I'm not a fan of the douchebro look, self-aware or no :p), but the third is looking all proper and businessy. Wink I agree that the tie may be too wide and the knot too loose on it. I think the waist might be a bit high, too - my eye wants that belt to sit lower.

@Marty: Ooh, that skirt turned out great! I'm a fan of that first outfit from the waist down, but I'm not quite on with the combo of the long bright green shirt and the intensely blue denim jacket. I want to shorten that shirt a few inches and swap out the jacket for something that's a bit longer, maybe coming down to just past the hips, and in maroon or reddish-brown. Or maybe swap the shirt color - I feel like that shade of bright green is hard to match with, though I like the pop of brightness.

The evening look is super-nice! I like the pattern and color of the scarf in contrast to the simplicity of the dress. I'd just add a few more accessories (necklace, bracelet) and see if there are shoes that would match or complement the scarf - something warm, maybe fawn or peachy.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Enail wrote:
UristMcBunny wrote:

Fun story. There was a developer at work who I had such an admire-from-a-distance crush on. One day he happened to stand next to me in the food line. The cafeteria is set up with those sneeze shields, but they always place the food waaaay back, so I have to bend over and really reach to get to it. So he's watching me while I do this, when I suddenly blurt out," I have tiny arms. Like a T-rex. Rwar!"

He gave me a weird look and walked away. Oh yeah, so smooth.

Rate My Style Redux - Page 2 Ally-Sheedy-Smooth-Point-Reaction-Gif-In-Breakfast-Club

Would the jacket work better if the hem of the shirt was shorter? Potentially insecure question: does my stomach look huge in those outfits? I feel like no matter how I dress, I can't hide my large stomach.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:26 pm

Autumnflame wrote:
@Marty: Ooh, that skirt turned out great! I'm a fan of that first outfit from the waist down, but I'm not quite on with the combo of the long bright green shirt and the intensely blue denim jacket. I want to shorten that shirt a few inches and swap out the jacket for something that's a bit longer, maybe coming down to just past the hips, and in maroon or reddish-brown. Or maybe swap the shirt color - I feel like that shade of bright green is hard to match with, though I like the pop of brightness.

The evening look is super-nice! I like the pattern and color of the scarf in contrast to the simplicity of the dress. I'd just add a few more accessories (necklace, bracelet) and see if there are shoes that would match or complement the scarf - something warm, maybe fawn or peachy.

Thank you! I really love the skirt; I'm making another one in black wool right now. (And oh my gosh you guys, wait until you see my Victorian ball gown. I got plaid silk and it's gonna have ruffles and bustles and ribbons oh my. It's gonna be epic.) Do you think a white shirt would look better?

Funny thing, I originally paired the scarf with the Day Look outfit, but my boyfriend felt it made me look too "top heavy." I put on the scarf with the Evening because it was cold and I didn't have a stylish jacket, so, rock the scarf I guess (when in Portland....?) How does one find uniquely-colored shoes?...
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:47 pm

reboundstudent wrote:
Would the jacket work better if the hem of the shirt was shorter? Potentially insecure question: does my stomach look huge in those outfits? I feel like no matter how I dress, I can't hide my large stomach.

I think it would, yes. Right now my eye keeps going down to these layers of hems in sequence, and I think staggering the hems (so it hits the inner shirt, then the outer jacket, then the outer skirt) would help.

Honestly I wouldn't have noticed your stomach at all without being told to look at it, and even with you pointing it out I'm not seeing it much in the pics.

reboundstudent wrote:
Thank you! I really love the skirt; I'm making another one in black wool right now. (And oh my gosh you guys, wait until you see my Victorian ball gown. I got plaid silk and it's gonna have ruffles and bustles and ribbons oh my. It's gonna be epic.) Do you think a white shirt would look better?

when it's done post piiiiiiiics

With that jacket, yes, I think so - or a bright yellow or cream would work, too.

Funny thing, I originally paired the scarf with the Day Look outfit, but my boyfriend felt it made me look too "top heavy." I put on the scarf with the Evening because it was cold and I didn't have a stylish jacket, so, rock the scarf I guess (when in Portland....?) How does one find uniquely-colored shoes?...

Pure luck, in my experience. :p Or if you have good luck/want to deal with online shopping, Zappo's has a great return policy. (I've never tried it, mostly because I'm weird small sizes and don't want to deal with getting something that I haven't physically tried first.)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I do not really see your stomach, even when asked to look, so I would have to say the outfits conceal nicely
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone, it's very useful! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:19 pm

TheWisp - super cute, would date, only if I was ten years younger but that's because I am a crotchety old lady.

Marty - DAT SKIRT THO You are so clever, I would love to make my own clothes but I'm such a wuss with the sewing machine. Gonna need pics of the tartan ballgown though.

I love the midnight blue of the dress on you, but I think the best bit of the photo is your lovely smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:54 pm

reboundstudent wrote:
Enail wrote:
UristMcBunny wrote:

Fun story. There was a developer at work who I had such an admire-from-a-distance crush on. One day he happened to stand next to me in the food line. The cafeteria is set up with those sneeze shields, but they always place the food waaaay back, so I have to bend over and really reach to get to it. So he's watching me while I do this, when I suddenly blurt out," I have tiny arms. Like a T-rex. Rwar!"

He gave me a weird look and walked away. Oh yeah, so smooth.

Rate My Style Redux - Page 2 Ally-Sheedy-Smooth-Point-Reaction-Gif-In-Breakfast-Club

Haha! Ahhh smoothness.

To be fair, I cannot talk. Once, during my first every make-out session with a particular new fuckbuddy, I blurted out something about having short arms and, when he (on top of me, supporting himself over my by his straightened arms) stated that they didn't seem that short to him I demonstrated by straightening my own, tiny arms out. My wrist met his elbow, and he responded with "oh."

As to the jacket... it might work better with a shorter hemmed top, maybe, although it's hard to tell without seeing it properly. I definitely don't notice your stomach in either of those pictures.

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Lemminkainen wrote:@BasedBuzzed:

I think that the first two looks you posted are pretty great, particularly for what you want them to be.

I think that the third is a little off.  That tie is too loosely knotted and way too wide to be flattering.  I also would recommend that you not wear a shirt that's mostly black with dark-colored pants unless you're also wearing some kind of spiffily-colored jacket.  A brightly-colored shirt would make that outfit much more appealing.

@Wisp: If you're looking for a more formal option, have you considered something like this?

http://us.topman.com/en/tmus/product/suits-1950627/skinny-fit-suits-2205370/teal-ultra-skinny-suit-3162140?bi=1&ps=20

It would work well with your 70s-ish aesthetic, I think, particularly if you combined it with a cool bow tie or something like that.

Marty:  The dress looks great.  So does the skirt, especially with the boots.  Are you wearing leggings as well?  I think that underplays the strength of the boots, personally.

I gotta disagree with that suit.  Ultra-small lapels can over-accent both narrow and wide shoulders to respective extremes.  The jackets button is a bit high for my tastes, as well, and there seems to be some collar gap.

Here are a couple of jackets of good quality for a decent price, as those criteria are always at war:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-blue-plain/C753.html?start=30&cgid=Jackets

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-light-brown-plain/C544.html?start=38&cgid=Jackets&start=30&sz=30

These are next on my list of wardrobe additions, though I don't often have any reason to wear a jacket in Florida weather.
Conreezy
Conreezy

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Oky, so with my interview coming up on Saturday I've been testing out some outfits and... I'm not really happy with any of them.  Please excuse photo quality, I thought I was taking pics with a camera, but apparently it was actually a potato  silent

Also please excuse everything from the neck up.  My hair is greasy and scragged back and in need of a wash, I also got bugger-all sleep last night.  Also as a note that will delight the Short Arm Crew, all of the tops I am wearing are supposed to be 3/4 sleeve!

Option One:
I have a rather pretty white blouse that I bought for an interview a while back, but which is a little sheer.  It's also, I think, a little too short (I am mostly made of torso).  I've tried pairing it with a few things, but I'm not sure any of these are great looks...

https://33.media.tumblr.com/1cab2605fc48ed33579a18e6f4533b6c/tumblr_ndg6w1HoOV1rqh8i1o1_500.jpg - with a vest
https://33.media.tumblr.com/cc211cd0ca9397f36a433fd28f6c0053/tumblr_ndg6w1HoOV1rqh8i1o3_1280.jpg - with a jumper that has too low a neckline for an interview
https://38.media.tumblr.com/d3ed7320b62c05acb18ec87bd5fa5641/tumblr_ndg6w1HoOV1rqh8i1o4_1280.jpg - with a linen jacket and a white vest underneath

Option Two:
I have a smart-ish tunic top that is great for office wear.  Buuut it's elbow length sleeves mean my copious scars are visible, and while I am not at all embarrassed by them, they might be noticed by the interviewer if I'm not careful.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/aa4feedadaa73fe209dc6b628eff7c6e/tumblr_ndg6w1HoOV1rqh8i1o7_1280.jpg

Option Three:
I have a lovely, long tunic (actually the pattern on it is a sort of teal colour... again, potato camera).  I love the length of it on me, but as before the sleeves are an issue.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/b6c18549e79920aa3118f315b6353b09/tumblr_ndg6w1HoOV1rqh8i1o8_1280.jpg

Option Four:
I have a less boxy jacket and a deep purple dress, which I could wear.  I would of course be wearing actual tights for the interview, I just didn't have any to hand in the moment I was trying stuff on.  I worry though that a floaty chiffon dress is a bit fancy for an interview for a retail job at a cut price clothing store.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/b4715d1da1c74540b1b1a45ecb78dfcf/tumblr_ndg6w1HoOV1rqh8i1o10_1280.jpg

Option Five:
I have time to order this top and get it delivered before the interview.  I know from experience that tops like that are fantastic for making my bust look less like a rectangular shelf, which is a problem I often have with high necklines (see most of the outfits I just tried out), and the length looks like it'll sit low on the hips, which is also a good look for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290986927149?var=590163640870

If I ordered this, it'd either be the purple or wine colour.  What do people think?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:18 pm

This is a good cross section fo times I make an effort to dress up. I don't have any day to day pics of slacks, Chucks, button down shirt but that's my low effort wear.

Rate My Style Redux - Page 2 10341478_10152416229648514_2411235067741796422_n
Show outfit

Rate My Style Redux - Page 2 1965018_10152291229543514_324664138_n
Vintage military-ish sock hop night with slicked back hair

Rate My Style Redux - Page 2 1457554_10202206630188706_2037486194_n
Fancy vest with daily wear jacket. I swear I'm not stoned, I just close my eyes when I dance.

Rate My Style Redux - Page 2 1146563_10201614269377360_403564777_n
Steampunk formal

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Bunny, I LOVE Option 4. I think it looks professional but not stuffy. Otherwise the vest over the white shirt is very cute.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:02 pm

@Gentleman Johnny
Slicked back hair and hat with the hair not behind the ears like on pic 4 works best with your face, IMHO.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:03 pm

I like options 3 and 4, Bunny, but with 3 I might lose the belt. However, I have a hatred of chunky belts formed in the 80s that may not be entirely rational

@GJ love the looks!
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:04 pm

Hadn't even thought about the hair. When its shorter, I just get up, brush it all straight back and let it fall whee it will. I'm currently in a debate between getting it cut or toughing out the bad 70s fringe until its long enough to behave again.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Bunny, I really like 4, with a strong 2nd for #3. I'm not a big fan of the belt with the white tops, but I kind of like it with the darker one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Bunny, I vote option 1c (with vest and linen jacket) if you're worried about looking too fancy for the interview--looks professional, smart, put-together, and I have no problem with wide belts-- but option 4 looks really lovely! If you can rock the purple dress with more casual-leaning hair/makeup/accessories it might not be too formal at all.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Thanks everyone! Fashion stuff erm... does not come naturally to me. So it's good to know the dress doesn't look too fancy as an option. I can definitely put my hair simply down with an Alice band to keep it away from my face, neutral make-up (I have recently been learning how to give myself eyebrows that don't look either like the ghostly wisps I am endowed with OR massive blocks of kohl!) and maybe some bright but not-spangly jewellery to offset the formalnessness.

@Werel Oooh I never considered wearing the vest AND jacket with the shirt at the same time! Will have to consider that option.

Re: the wide belt, I tend to favour them because my breasts are fucking massive, so without a belt separating bust from gut, I can look like a large, shapeless lump, especially with anything with a high neckline.

GJ - I really like your outfits! One thing I can't quite tell from the pictures - where your hair is slicked back, is it also parted in the centre? I wonder if slicking it back straight without a parting might be something worth trying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:39 pm

It is. Someone else did my hair. Usually it falls on a normal 3/4 part and if I sprayed it down myself it would be straight back.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:06 am

@GJ: Man, you look a lot like Brian Cox. Maybe even James Blunt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:32 am

@Bunny: I like #3 the best! Disclosure: that might in large part because it's the sort of outfit I would go for, with a jacket and a wide belt. :p #5 is a lovely option, too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:45 am

HermitTheToad wrote:@GJ: Man, you look a lot like Brian Cox. Maybe even James Blunt.

I used to get Paul Bettany a lot, too. I think that has more to do with the fact that most of my charm comes from movement and doesn't carry to still photos.
Gentleman Johnny
Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum